FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [OT] Is this the scammiest scam that ever scammed? (out of state car sale)

My VIN:    10907

[OT] Is this the scammiest scam that ever scammed? (out of state car sale)

So as some of you may know, I've been on the hunt for a Trans Am with a digital dash. I found one that sounded like a screaming deal in the Chicago area. I emailed the seller to see if it was still available and how long it had sat without being driven. This is the ad and the response I got.

Screenshot_20210607-102948.jpgScreenshot_20210607-100220.jpg

I kind of think it reads like a flag store that ran out of every color but red...

- Ad says car was bought at an estate sale but email claims to be the late owner's widow

- Didn't actually answer my question about how long it sat

- If the car has no mechanical problems it's worth twice what they're asking

- Free shipping? Who does that?

- "The car is already at the shipper" Hmmm, I feel like I've seen that one before... on here... in a post by somebody making fun of a Craigslist scammer...

- Car only seems to be advertised on this one website that I've never heard of

... but on the off chance the shipping company turns out to be real and verifies this person's story, should I gamble 9000 skymiles and a one-day car rental to go check it out, or am I going to end up getting kidnapped, raped and murdered if I actually do show up at some random warehouse in Nebraska/Illinois?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

If it's too good to be true....

I'd be reporting the ad and moving on. No shipping company wants to hold a car that may or may not sell and not only that, a shipping company wouldn't even be needed if it is for sale locally.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

The saga continues... Screenshot_20210607-125002~4.jpg

She's selling the car because she needs money... But she'll give a money back guarantee and pay to ship it back if I don't like it. Oooookaaaayyyyy...

I've seen this same sort of ad for golf cart. They probably won't let you come and look at it. In my case, I said I'll come there and look with cash. If I buy it, no need to ship, I'll take it on my trailer. That was a no go. They made up some bull about the shipping company not letting people in. They said, they will ship it free and if I don't like it, I can refuse and get my money back. Yea, right!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Tell her you’ll give her a “money paid guarantee” once the car arrives in your driveway with title, since the shipping company has it in their possession free of charge anyway.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    1086

we have similar "offers" in germany. there was a very interesting offer in england - offered was a porsche 911 for a very good price and free shipping :-) i contacted the seller and told him that i wanted to come to england and have a look at the car - he didn't want to and didn't want to give me any "trouble" and i would be too critical ! as his offer would be no risk for me - i told him very well - i had no money and no car in this deal !
    he should look for another "stupid" one. i never heard anything from the seller/cheater again!

The way that offer is written, it sounds like a scam to me.

I think you should have the seller provide a photo of the title and the VIN plate, aside a newspaper with today's date visible. No cost to either of you (except the newspaper).

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

The thrilling conclusion (hopefully)...

In my last message I had asked her again for the name of the shipping company and the exact location of the car, and said that I didn't want to purchase the car without inspecting it personally (but that since she'd had so many other offers, I would understand if it sold before I could get out there on the 16th). In a shocking plot twist, I haven't heard from her since. (If she'd responded with some BS about why I couldn't look at the car in person I was going to try Dan's strategy, lol...)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    The thrilling conclusion (hopefully)...

In my last message I had asked her again for the name of the shipping company and the exact location of the car, and said that I didn't want to purchase the car without inspecting it personally (but that since she'd had so many other offers, I would understand if it sold before I could get out there on the 16th). In a shocking plot twist, I haven't heard from her since. (If she'd responded with some BS about why I couldn't look at the car in person I was going to try Dan's strategy, lol...)
    You still think you are talking to a female? You are talking to a guy and it probably takes about 3oz of spit to pronounce his name.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast