FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMCH tour of "New Build" facilities

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

DMCH tour of "New Build" facilities

I have had no problem voicing my confusion and disdain as to why after 10 years, DMCH continues to promote a new build that will seemingly never come. In one sense, I think I was right to do so considering the Solstice free PR campaign and similar episodes. However, I also am beginning to think this has less to do with DMCH's desire to actually make good on this decade long venture and more to do with government red tape preventing them from moving forward.

http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    Midproduction

Agree; I would be happy with a "if we ever build cars" statement. Then again these videos are probably more directed to non-owners, fans, who wouldn't know the backstory. This is probably why it irked me to notice the glossing over of Consolidated International's near 20 years of stewarding the original stock. The narrative in this video consistently ties Houston directly to the factory without a single mention of what happened in between. You can sing it, but you can't really be your own grandpa.

I suspect, like most businesses, money is the problem. Of course, the red tape thing is why it cost so much. I was wondering if you can make a car with no side protection these days. That would be an expensive redesign. Of course it would have to have air bags and anti-lock brakes. I don't suppose that is too hard.

Watching the video, I noted a few things.

Both James and Steven are younger than I expected. They appear to be my age and I was a teenager when the car came out. I don't know why, but I figured they had something to do with the original product. They also truly seem to be "likable" guys. I guess they are happy in what they are doing.

I didn't hear to much in the video about the new build. Do you know what kind of numbers of cars they are shooting for? Do you know what the target cost per car is? What engine are they thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Of course it would have to have air bags and anti-lock brakes. I don't suppose that is too hard.
    Hard? No. Extremely expensive? Yes.

You can’t just slap an airbag system in a car and call it good. It has to be crash tested extensively. No one is going to do that with the DeLorean. The Low Volume Vehicle Manufacturing act allows them to forego such safety devices, hence why they’ve decided to go that route.

My VIN:    4665

I was watching closely to see if there were any LFF sitting on the racks. Wouldn't that be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    I was watching closely to see if there were any LFF sitting on the racks. Wouldn't that be interesting.
    I know DCMF has some used ones, and I’m fairly certain that all the DMC service centers do. Whether or not they’ll sell them is another story. They are probably used to restore cars with fenders that are too damaged to fix.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I know DCMF has some used ones, and I’m fairly certain that all the DMC service centers do. Whether or not they’ll sell them is another story. They are probably used to restore cars with fenders that are too damaged to fix.
    I remember reading something about a "soft die" in development. It would be able to stamp out a few hundred panels before it reaches the end of it's life. Heck I may have been dreaming or s$%tfaced and remembering it wrong.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    Assuming you mean "left front fenders", are they know to be in short supply? Are the right ones more available?

I guess this means if you can't stop, make sure you turn at last minute to hit the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Assuming you mean "left front fenders", are they know to be in short supply? Are the right ones more available?

I guess this means if you can't stop, make sure you turn at last minute to hit the right.
    When DMCL went under there were more right fenders in stock then left. A lot more. As a result, the stock of new left front fenders was depleted years ago. A new right fender can be had for $600. A used left fender usually exceeds $2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I remember reading something about a "soft die" in development. It would be able to stamp out a few hundred panels before it reaches the end of it's life. Heck I may have been dreaming or s$%tfaced and remembering it wrong.
    DMCH posted on their website years ago that they had a right fender professionally laser- scanned and mirror-imaged to produce the dimensions needed for a left fender die. Long story short: the market is too small for the cost of stamping new fenders, and as long as used left fenders are in the marketplace there really isn’t a need to stamp new ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast