FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mirror switch rebuilders?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Mirror switch rebuilders?

Hey all! My second OEM mirror switch has exploded, and this time I think it’s salvageable. DeLorean Go offers a rebuild service in the UK, but it seems like a huge pain for those of us in the US. Anyone know of rebuilders stateside who could handle the job?

Or is there a howto guide anyone’s aware of? I know they’re very fiddly inside but I’d be willing to try since it’s just a pile of trash now anyway.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Just in case you're looking for something more robust:

Nissan 200SX (in US 240SX) fits perfectly and works but needs some modification in the wiring.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Not immediately answering your question, but the switch I got had been half pried apart in some ill attempt to fix, and the ball bearings lost. Inside, it's actually in great condition, but reassembly will be a real PITA. Another owner kindly sent me some ball bearings, but I'm not looking forward to getting it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Just in case you're looking for something more robust:

Nissan 200SX (in US 240SX) fits perfectly and works but needs some modification in the wiring.
    Oh, that’s an interesting crossover. I hate how the Saab switch the vendors sell looks - it’s too curvy and doesn’t fit the aesthetic of the car at all. These Nissan switches are a lot boxier. Do you know offhand which model years are compatible? There are a few different styles, with a “joystick” and with a “d-pad” style configuration. Or what the wiring mods needed are?
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Not immediately answering your question, but the switch I got had been half pried apart in some ill attempt to fix, and the ball bearings lost. Inside, it's actually in great condition, but reassembly will be a real PITA. Another owner kindly sent me some ball bearings, but I'm not looking forward to getting it back together.
    Yeah, I hear ya. My factory original one burst open and the parts flew everywhere over a decade ago. I got a NOS one when they were still available and it lasted until the first time I had to remove it from the door, and then it did nearly the same thing. Fortunately this time it only separated the housing halves slightly and the parts are all still inside, but not in the right positions to be functional. I tried to figure it out and it’s just not gonna happen.
    Jon

My VIN:    Midproduction

My VIN:    03500

I'm using one from a Nissan. I can't remember off hand which one but I used a 90s. I had to switch the wires around in the mirror connector. Because up and down was left and right.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    I'm using one from a Nissan. I can't remember off hand which one but I used a 90s. I had to switch the wires around in the mirror connector. Because up and down was left and right.

Dave B.
    Does it look like this? Do you have anything written down on how you changed up the wires?
    Jon

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Does it look like this? Do you have anything written down on how you changed up the wires?
    I have the one that looks like a joystick at the top and left and right selector at bottom.
    I will try to get some pics of how I wired the switch by tomorrow. If you want.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    I have the one that looks like a joystick at the top and left and right selector at bottom.
    I will try to get some pics of how I wired the switch by tomorrow. If you want.

Dave B.
    I’d definitely really appreciate that! I wonder if this one is also compatible. It’s from a “95-96 240SX” and I love the look of it, but it’d be too bad to get it and find out the size changed slightly and it doesn’t actually fit the opening.

So yours is more like this?
    Jon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast