FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mirror switch rebuilders?

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I’d definitely really appreciate that! I wonder if this one is also compatible. It’s from a “95-96 240SX” and I love the look of it, but it’d be too bad to get it and find out the size changed slightly and it doesn’t actually fit the opening.

So yours is more like this?
    Yes that looks like the one I used. I didn't have to make any alterations to make it fit.

Dave B.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Yes that looks like the one I used. I didn't have to make any alterations to make it fit.

Dave B.
    OK! I scored one of those one eBay for a really good price. Definitely interested in your wiring modifications now. Did you have a Nissan pigtail for it, or just crimp/solder the DeLorean pigtail to the switch?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

I don't remember using a pig tail but I do remember one spot were I put two wires. That could be why I had to switch the wires for the mirror around. You only need to switch the two power wires for each mirror.

Dave B.

I don't remember using a pig tail but I do remember one spot were I put two wires. That could be why I had to switch the wires for the mirror around. You only need to switch the two power wires for each mirror.

Dave B.
    Very cool. I’d love as much detail as you can dig up, if you do have a chance. It’ll be a few days before my new switch gets here but I was planning to create an adapter to the factory wiring using one of the harnesses from my old switches, to avoid modifications to the door wiring if at all possible.
    Jon

The pins on the OEM switch are the same as the Nissan switch so pretty much easy. The one spot were I put the two wires I just wedged the second one into place. It's been that way for over three years with no problems. The pins are separated by walls.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 06-12-2021 at 07:31 PM.

The pins on the OEM switch are the same as the Nissan switch so pretty much easy. The one spot were I put the two wires I just wedged the second one into place. It's been that way for over three years with no problems. The pins are separated by walls.

Dave B.
    Hm, I’m having trouble picturing it. I can see there is one more wire on the DeLorean switch than the Nissan one expects but it’s not 100% clear what to do with that. I’ve got schematics for both cars’ mirror circuits thanks to Ron and Clint and *think* I can figure it out once I get both parts in hand.
    Jon

Sorry about the confusion there is only one wall I was thinking each pin had a wall. I do hope these pics will help you out. If more help is needed I will try my best. With this configuration you still need to switch the two power wires around for each mirror. I just pulled the pins at the connector and swapped them.
    This configuration was done with some research and trial and error blowing many fuses. Trying to get the mirrors to work properly but I didn't know anything about a pigtail. So apparently one is not necessarily needed.

Dave B.
    Attached Images

Sorry about the confusion there is only one wall I was thinking each pin had a wall. I do hope these pics will help you out. If more help is needed I will try my best. With this configuration you still need to switch the two power wires around for each mirror. I just pulled the pins at the connector and swapped them.
    This configuration was done with some research and trial and error blowing many fuses. Trying to get the mirrors to work properly but I didn't know anything about a pigtail. So apparently one is not necessarily needed.

Dave B.

Dave B.
    Aha, thanks - that helps! Making a pigtail would help eliminate the ‘jamming a connector against the wall’ but I think I see what you mean now. It’s that white/brown wire you mean?

Also it’s been a long time since I looked at the mirror connectors, but it seems like there are 4 power pins to each. Do you remember what you swapped? Was it just to make things move in the right direction or something else?

Jon

Good! Yes the white and brown wire. Yes swapping the two wires for the mirrors is to get them to move in the direction you want. But if you like up and down will be left and right and so on.Ha
    Two wires are white and one yellow one blue. Only need to switch the yellow and blue.
    Ya I was just happy I got it to work that I left it alone! With out doing the pigtail mod.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 06-13-2021 at 10:04 AM.

I ended up getting the OEM switch rebuilt by [mention]Drive Stainless [/mention] and it just arrived today working perfectly!
    Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2