FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: SEDOC Gathering/Tech session, October 22nd.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Welcome back online, Jim! I hope your recuperation is as quick as your wit!

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    1597

Hi Farrar. Yeah Ive been medicated for a long time. Somewhere betreen Ozzy and Keith Richards. Starting to come out of it but thats a struggle in itself.

I understand these things. On the old forums I had a couple thousand post and was labeled early on as a Delorean basher. I think I have and will run into every problem this car has to offer. Its been a uneventfull summer but even so at any given time I have at least 6 things that need attention. Currently my pass window is off track or worse. Some new vibrations in the steering column. Clutch is getting a little weak. So basically I cannot complain.
    If you need any tips feel free to ask. I threw money at the issues and just replaced everything which is not always the best way to go about it but I had enough of it. Problem is we still do not know what it was but we suspect the crappy o ring design in the f dist. Even after dozens of o rings including the viton it still had h start issues. Even a newly refurbed f dist was intalled and it was defective. Only after a new f dist and not mucking with its oring did the isues stop.
    So as you probably already have found out. If it is working, DONT muck with it unless it really looks bad and maybe on its last leg. Only replace ONE thing at a time! That way when the car curses you for messing with it you will know the offending part.
    Just because its new dont mean squat. The newer stuff is crap btw! Johns fuel pump however is great. If you suspect something is about to fail or seems wrong. ITS IS!
    Ok more ramblings later. Nice to meet you.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    1968

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

When Kyle was here and it wouldn't hot-start, he swapped two plugs (a blue one?) in the engine bay and it started right up. Is there a not-so-elegant solution to just press a button and make that connection when you're stuck and everyone is looking at you?

Is that what Hervey's Hot start relay $19.95 with Momentary switch supposed to do?
    Only issue with that is you have to open the fuse compartment and all, and I'm not sure you can do it by yourself - you have to have someone else push it?

"Now you can leave it plugged in and push the switch when it needs to be used. Internally fuse protected for safety. This little device will force the cold start valve to inject some gas every time you start the car, hot or cold. If you have a chronic problem , then try replacing the fuel accumulator to solve the starting problem."

It's about as easy to pull the breather off and hold the meter plate down a little for second or so IMO.
    OR, until you fix the pressure loss, you could temporarily run a wire from the blue-black wire on the cold start valve (through a fuse) then to the light green wire on the full throttle micro switch. This would cause the cold start valve to spray as long as you held the pedal to the floor (similar to hot start way). The drawback is it would be easy to flood it when you used it, until you got used to it, and it would force normal wide open throttle rich when you were driving...might mess with the thermal enrichment a little while its cold but not a biggie...me thinks.
    Last edited by Ron; 11-02-2011 at 05:24 PM.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by aludden View Post
    When Kyle was here and it wouldn't hot-start, he swapped two plugs (a blue one?) in the engine bay and it started right up. Is there a not-so-elegant solution to just press a button and make that connection when you're stuck and everyone is looking at you?

Is that what Hervey's Hot start relay $19.95 with Momentary switch supposed to do?
    Only issue with that is you have to open the fuse compartment and all, and I'm not sure you can do it by yourself - you have to have someone else push it?

"Now you can leave it plugged in and push the switch when it needs to be used. Internally fuse protected for safety. This little device will force the cold start valve to inject some gas every time you start the car, hot or cold. If you have a chronic problem , then try replacing the fuel accumulator to solve the starting problem."
    How long did it take to start with the plugs swapped? My hot start relay turns the CSV on after one second of cranking. No buttons to push.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    How long did it take to start with the plugs swapped? My hot start relay turns the CSV on after one second of cranking. No buttons to push.
    With the wires crossed (actually, I think it was just one of them connected but crossed), it started right up.

Until it's fixed, I want to find some easy solution that does not involve opening the hood or relay compartment and messing with things. I just want to use it - go to the store, etc. without having to worry that it won't start. I guess that wire solution you mentioned would work, Ron, so I can try that. Has anyone had experience with Hervey's relay?
    Thanks!
    Alex

His relay basically does the same thing......

Yeah!!! I got parts!
    I finally got a bunch of parts that I had been waiting for (and it's my birthday too!) so Kyle and I will continue working on getting the car to be fully driveable.
    First order of business is changing brake pads, as Sean recommended.
    Second, a full tune-up including rotor, cap, wires, o-rings and gaskets, and replacing the water pump while we have the manifold off. Any other recommendations while we are there?
    I guess I should replace the vacuum hoses. Can I just buy that locally? What sizes do I need? O do I need to get Hervey's kit?
    Thanks!
    Alex

I just wanted to add to my previous post, that it's not that I don't want to support the Delorean vendors, but I have gotten really tired of waiting for parts from Hervey, and DMC parts are more expensive as well as their shipping/handling costs. I have to weigh my support for vendors vs. getting parts in a timely manner and within some reasonable budget. Sorry for the rant

My VIN:    1597

Thats not a rant. Most of us have been in many a heated conversation with most vendors at one time or another. Well except DMC northeast maybe.
    In my case thats also very much true.
    My bigegst peeve is when you order something and you do not know or are told its not in stock. So you wait until you are good and steamed,call and find out its not in stock.
    I once had a $$$ and big order held up and not shipped because of a 3 buck part was not in stock. And it was just one of those pad the order items I did not really need.
    You gotta call John. He is a one man op and at any given time has 100 things going on. Me and him have butted heads many a time but he has some good stuff at good prices. I just ordered via online a angle drive from him and I will see how that goes.
    After 3 DMCs angle drives flew apart not long after install I am going to give his a try. Also installed the 1 piece cable. This is THE LAST attempt at fixing it.
    But dont sweat it to bad. In the dark ages it was dam near impossible to get anything. One vendor in cali was like the soup nazi. Glad I did not have to deal with him cuz I would have taken the car off a cliff before bowing to that kinda ego. My father bought a brand Delorean new in 81. When it broke down driving home from the dealership. Yeah thats right, on the way from the DEALERSHIP, it went back on a flatbed. Problem was the Delorean dealership mechanics had never worked on one. So we took it home and he worked on it himself.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 11-14-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18