FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I love the smell of burnt plastic in the evening

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I've not heard any complaints from any of the vendors fans. I have Toby fans in my car which fit in the OEM fan shroud.
    I love my Toby fans. I highly recommended them.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Same here. Toby's fans have been great.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Ditto here. Toby fans have been great. Great service too. After YEARS of daily use, one of my fan motors died. Toby had manufacturer replace under warranty.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    16306

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Ditto here. Toby fans have been great. Great service too. After YEARS of daily use, one of my fan motors died. Toby had manufacturer replace under warranty.
    Checked his website, and it looks like Toby's fans are currently sold out unfortunately. I'm planning to take the car in to Danny at DMCCA in July, so I'll probably just end up replacing the fans with DMCH's replacements at that time. Ordered Dave's fan fail unit in the meantime.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

So, what we're saying here is that we're a huge Toby fan.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Defective fuses and a temporary Y jumper fix aside: I know we are going against the grain, but here in Florida where we drive all year in a hot climate with the A/C on almost constantly, some of us have rebuilt/refurbished our OEM fans AND run them through separate dedicated relays, one for each fan, together with a more direct power feed. We still incorporate Dave's awesome fan fail unit as source of activation. My car is finishing it's second year in successful testing.

Based on experience, my opinion is there is nothing wrong with an OEM fan (caveat: unit in good condition, and grounded properly). The flaw is that the car's wiring is not up to the task in feeding the power to them. On the Fan Fail socket, all the power is sourced from one connector (pin 87, i.e. the combined wire on the Y jumper). This is going to two high draw fans. It is akin to connecting a high power tool to a long extension cord.

Your mileage may vary.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    966

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I had the crimp on one terminal of my DMCH cooling fan bypass Y-wire go bad. This was in a car with Toby's lower-current fans, with all grounds regularly cleaned, and you can even see in the photo I used conductive carbon grease on the spades to help give a better electrical connection. This isn't the only time I've had a bad crimp in this car, which is a little surprising to me, so I've slowly been soldering every crimp I come across "just in case".

delorean_cooling_fan_fail_bypass_wire.jpg
    -Mike, Professional Geek, owner of VIN966

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by RIUM+ View Post
    I had the crimp on one terminal of my DMCH cooling fan bypass Y-wire go bad. This was in a car with Toby's lower-current fans, with all grounds regularly cleaned, and you can even see in the photo I used conductive carbon grease on the spades to help give a better electrical connection. This isn't the only time I've had a bad crimp in this car, which is a little surprising to me, so I've slowly been soldering every crimp I come across "just in case".

delorean_cooling_fan_fail_bypass_wire.jpg
    Wow. This is a case in point. That is the combined wire/connection, where as you stated, even with low amp fans and good grounds, this spot is still a concern.

I agree. I recommend soldering the connections on this cooling fan circuit. I also recommend only using the Y jumper on an emergency basis.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Wow. This is a case in point. That is the combined wire/connection, where as you stated, even with low amp fans and good grounds, this spot is still a concern.

I agree. I recommend soldering the connections on this cooling fan circuit. I also recommend only using the Y jumper on an emergency basis.
    I don't use insulated crimp terminals on any high power connections. Those just squeeze the barrel onto the wire. I trust the crimps on non-insulated terminals but soldering would be even better. All my battery wires have crimped and soldered terminals.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2