FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Broken tailing arm mounting bolt. How to replace?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Cool, good to know that I might be able to weld on the nut without anything sticking out. I'd just have to be very careful not to miss and accidentally weld the bolt to the frame. But I'm going to try to just spin it out from behind first. With luck I'll be able to get it all the way out, but if it's super tedious to do a bunch of tiny turns I might try to weld the nut on anyway. I'm not exactly a great welder, but this doesn't have to be pretty as long as its accurate.

This isn't the TAB itself that's broken, but one of the two M8 bolts for the trailing arm mount where the ground wire attaches. The DMC site said "removing the body from the frame" is how it's fixed, and I really don't want to do that, hence the thread.

Thanks!

-- Joe

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    In fact, some might ask, why are you selling parts to convert others cars when yours is broke from your modifications? Maybe you should test stuff before selling it to others.
    Seeing as I've worked with Josh on some of these parts for the last 6 years, I've got to come to defense on this. You have no idea what you're talking about. These swap parts are the most refined and high quality parts available for engine swapping a DeLorean. There is no comparison. The design and engineering have been done. It is a drop in swap. I know this, because I would have killed for these parts back when I did my swap. You want to talk about "testing stuff?" Josh's and my cars engine swaps collectively have nearly a hundred thousand miles on them (admittedly the majority of which are Josh's miles). That's not even considering all of the other cars with Josh's swap parts. That's a hell of a lot more miles than the majority of owner's cars see.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 06-16-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Seeing as I've worked with Josh on some of these parts for the last 6 years, I've got to come to defense on this. You have no idea what you're talking about. These swap parts are the most refined and high quality parts available for engine swapping a DeLorean. There is no comparison. The design and engineering have been done. It is a drop in swap. I know this, because I would have killed for these parts back when I did my swap. You want to talk about "testing stuff?" Josh's and my cars engine swaps collectively have nearly a hundred thousand miles on them (admittedly the majority of which are Josh's miles). That's not even considering all of the other cars with Josh's swap parts. That's a hell of a lot more miles than the majority of owner's cars see.
    You missed my point. I said "some might ask". I did not say I agree with them. I think anybody considering such a swap must know the experimental nature. But I assure you there are people that hold those views.

But the point was nothing to do with that. He is suggesting that I shouldn't comment because my windshield wipers dont work. Really? Do you agree with that logic? I don't care if his car is sitting at the bottom of the ocean, he still could give good advice on some subject here. And so could I. His constant childish attacks on me is really getting old. He's a spoiled brat that thinks that he should be the sole judge of everything that is said on this forum.

I will say that he has been able to goad me into playing his childish games. Not very adult of me. In the future I intend to draft a standard response to his nonsense that I can just "copy and paste". That way, hopefully it won't turn others off to this forum.

I have been told to shut my PIE HOLE by our illustrious Admin. Ron for far lesser expression of thought.

So I ask why is this allowed to go on? Ron

trailing arm broken bolt/comments???

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I have been told to shut my PIE HOLE by our illustrious Admin. Ron for far lesser expression of thought.

Agree---should not be allowed---we only need helpful informative information shared here in a respectful manner.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

What are you talking about? Show me a link where this happened. (Then I'll tell you.)

Well?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    You missed my point. I said "some might ask". I did not say I agree with them. I think anybody considering such a swap must know the experimental nature. But I assure you there are people that hold those views.

But the point was nothing to do with that. He is suggesting that I shouldn't comment because my windshield wipers dont work. Really? Do you agree with that logic? I don't care if his car is sitting at the bottom of the ocean, he still could give good advice on some subject here. And so could I. His constant childish attacks on me is really getting old. He's a spoiled brat that thinks that he should be the sole judge of everything that is said on this forum.

I will say that he has been able to goad me into playing his childish games. Not very adult of me. In the future I intend to draft a standard response to his nonsense that I can just "copy and paste". That way, hopefully it won't turn others off to this forum.
    I've never met someone as oblivious as you. I think this is the most polite way to put it. If one single person is "turning others off to this forum" it would be yourself. But I know you will not agree with me on this one. I have been here since 2013, and many others much longer before me (old forum) but yet just in the recent months of your posting have these "disputes" come up. Seems to me its you.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Well. I'd bet money helicopter was at one time one of those kids that screamed out a random answer in school regardless of being called upon, knowing the answer or even having a question pending. If there was a list of the top three most pleasant members of this forum, you'd be right up there among Shep and Bill R. In no other forum have I seen someone join just to post random nonsense ("I assume you're working on a DeLorean and while I have no advice - that really sucks, good luck with that broken bolt!"). Typically one posts when they have useful advice or experiences, not when you just can't help yourself just like back in school.

To the OP, as suggested you need to get the nut off the back of the bolt and I'd bet the whole thing will come out with it. This is one of those areas where I heated up and bent a cheap harbor wrench just to comfortably reach these bolts/nuts so you might look into doing same.
    -----Dan B.

Having discussed this thread with the OP, we are happy to announce that it has served its purpose and will be closed.

It seems that those participating in the banter have potentially come to a point of understanding.
    If not, please keep it out of other threads (continue via PM if you must) -- Fair Warning, it has gone on too much and the hatchet is out by popular demand.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Just wanted to post the end result from my now-closed thread:

Getting the Broken Bolt Out

To fix the broken trailing arm bolt, I got some 45 degree offset wrenches that allowed me to break the jam nut free, then used a normal box wrench to get the nut the rest of the way off.

Unfortunately, I could not get vice grips on the remains of the bolt, or at least not enough to turn it. I resigned to removing the trailing arm. That wasn't actually too bad, but my hopes of not draining the brake system were crushed when I found that I couldn't get the trailing arm out of the way. I disconnected the line at the trailing arm so I could set the arm assigned. I knocked off some flaking epoxy and POR-15'ed it while it was out.

I then had to go out and buy a 90 degree power drill and a series of cobalt drill bits so I could drill out the bolt. I used some cutting fluid for good measures, and it actually worked pretty well, and I got through the bolt fairly quickly (although not quite straight).

I then made the mistake of using an EZ Out, which I only succeeded in snapping off in the bolt.

As expected, drilling had no effect on the EZ Out, but an hour or two with a Dremel and some grinding bits did disintegrate it. This worked much better than trying to drill it. I switched back to successively larger drill bits to finish off the bolt, and at one point it the bolt itself started spinning. I still couldn't get vice grips on it, so I used another EZ Out. This also snapped, but not before spinning enough of the bolt out that I could unscrew it by hand.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

-- Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3