FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Changing MT fluid - Delorean level or on ramps?

Changing MT fluid - Delorean level or on ramps?

I'm going to be changing the MT fluid this weekend and wanted to know if the car should be level, or if it's ok to do it while it's on ramps in the rear.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    I'm going to be changing the MT fluid this weekend and wanted to know if the car should be level, or if it's ok to do it while it's on ramps in the rear.
    the car needs to be level both to drain and fill the MT. Also make sure to remove the fill plug first, incase it is struck or stripped you are not without oil in the meantime.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    the car needs to be level both to drain and fill the MT. Also make sure to remove the fill plug first, incase it is struck or stripped you are not without oil in the meantime.
    Agreed. The amount of fluid that goes back into the transmission is determined by the height of the fill hole, so if the trans isn't level then you won't get the proper amount of fluid back in.

The fill plug always seems to be more difficult to remove, so +1 on taking that out first. It must have something to do with the back end of the drain plug being submerged in oil while the fill plug is above the oil level (at least when the car is stationary).

Awesome. Thanks guys. I had figured it was going to need to be level but was hoping it wouldn't make a difference. I made sure both plugs are able to come off.