FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fire extinguisher install

Fire extinguisher install

Since another one burned, I got to thinking about this. Do you put it in the pax compartment, engine or both? Any perticular brand? Let's see your install pics.

Last edited by JETS 81 DMC; 06-19-2021 at 06:26 PM.

My VIN:    16109

I installed mine as far away from the engine as possible

IMG_5169.jpgIMG_5170.jpgIMG_7077.jpgIMG_5172.jpgIMG_7076.jpg

Ideally you’d want it in a place that you can get to easily. Personally I’m a fan of having one in the passenger compartment, since that is probably where you’ll be if something happens. It also means that your passenger can grab it as well.

I’m not a fan of having a fire extinguisher in the trunk, as this means extra time to grab it. And since it’s hidden from view your passenger may not know you’ve got one (and even if they did, they’d have to get to the driver side of the car and know where the trunk release lever is).

Keep it simple.

Funny, I searched "fire extinguisher" before starting this thread and that didn't come up. The second link didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanTech View Post
    I installed mine as far away from the engine as possible

IMG_5169.jpgIMG_5170.jpgIMG_7077.jpgIMG_5172.jpgIMG_7076.jpg
    Cool looking, but the fire could be in the fuel tank area.

We use to have a joke in the aviation industry "the extinguisher is not for putting out the aircraft, it's for putting out the pilots"

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

I keep two at the foot of the passenger seat

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Without knowing any history on the car, there are many possible causes. It could have been electrical or it could have been fuel. It could have been something not done correctly recently, it could be because of an old hose. We have also seen where it was intentional. Having a car catch fire on a remote road almost always results in a total loss by the time anyone could arrive to put the fire out. At least we don't know of anyone getting hurt. Having a fire extinguisher maybe could have prevented a total loss if someone had the presence of mind to do it and knew how to use it properly. In situations like this people don't always think and act logically.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10309

Having had a fire in the engine compartment due to a leaky fuel distributor hose, I tried blowing it out, covering it with a blanket (caught the blanket on
    fire), 2 seconds with a fire extinguisher stopped it cold and saved the car. Therefore I always have one sitting nearby when working on the car
    and in the rear of the passenger seat (above the fuse box) as the closest place to grab it.

I keep mine immediately behind my seat. My thought is if a fire should start, that location is the quickest possible way for me to get it before exiting the car. While cleaning my car out the other day I removed it and forgot to put it back in. During my evening cruise I got about 10 minutes in and remembered I didn't have it. It's an unnerving feeling driving around without one. One of those "this will be the day I need it and I don't have it" type of feelings.

Anyways, they're inexpensive and can make a huge difference. No Delorean should be without one.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    No Delorean should be without one.
    No car should be without one. I’ve seen my fair share of late model vehicles burning on the side of the road.Fire extinguishers are cheap and readily available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast