FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Can the antenna on a right-front version car be removed or retracted?

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Can the antenna on a right-front version car be removed or retracted?

Sorry if stupid question! Thanks

My VIN:    16306

It would depend on the antenna. Factory antennas after the windshield ones were fixed mast, while late 81s had retractable ones. It’s also possible an antenna has been replaced with an aftermarket one that can be removed. Or you could just have it completely removed and plug the hole.

https://support.delorean.com/kb/a49/antennas.aspx

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

You always have the option of removing it and welding/plugging the hole. You can add the rear antenna to any car if you buy the right parts and wire it up. The "vent" at the left rear corner also has to be cut slightly to make room for the mast.

My VIN:    3937

The mast itself can be removed easily. It just threads on. The base can be removed as well, but you need to fiddle with it a little because there is a claw/clamp thingy that helps keep it in place. Then you can pull it up and out of the hole (disconnect the antenna wire from behind the stereo too). As mentioned, the hole left behind can be filled in and welded over and made to look seamless again... if you know what you're doing with stainless repairs that is.

I don't use my radio much, so I keep the mast in the frunk and leave a little rubber vacuum cap over the threaded end.

Antenna base.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Some of the vendors also used to sell a S/S plug/cap that would cover the hole without welding. Not as pretty but is quick and cheap. Otherwise you have to remove the fender and ship it to someone who can weld, grind, and regrain the fender and then you have to put it back on. Once you put that perfect fender back on you will want to do the rest of the car! You could install a retractable antennae in the rear pontoon or just put a satellite antennae on the dash and go with Sirrus radio.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by ? ? ? ? View Post
    It would depend on the antenna. Factory antennas after the windshield ones were fixed mast, while late 81s had retractable ones. It’s also possible an antenna has been replaced with an aftermarket one that can be removed. Or you could just have it completely removed and plug the hole.

https://support.delorean.com/kb/a49/antennas.aspx
    Thanks ????! And kind thxx for the link, very helpful

Thanks, TTait, Jon, and David. U guys are amazing!! Appreciate very much. If I get the car, I may have to keep it covered outside for a while and didnt know if i needed to pierce the cover!!

Btw, I may do the conversion to the rear retractable. It seems more "within form"

Thanks again =)