FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: PO swapped center vents with radio

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

PO swapped center vents with radio

PO installed a Kenwood in-dash DVD monitor back in 2008, but the brains of the unit have died and are unavailable for purchase. In the 10 years that I've owned the car, I have only played one movie, and it was more just to test it out. I have no desire to keep a unit like this and will be happy with a regular head unit.
    PXL_20210620_204111699.jpg

The PO went through the work of swapping the center vents and the radio so that the vents wouldn't be blowing into the back of the monitor. I'm considering a "while I'm in there" approach of putting the vents back where the factory had them, but don't know if this mod is reversible. I've never taken apart the console to inspect his workmanship, but I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this swap and what I'd be getting myself into if I attempted to swap them back.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I've done a somewhat similar conversion, although I relocated my vents to the kneepads and installed a double-DIN radio. The PO likely modified or built a custom air distributor (the front of the box behind the vents that sends the air to the center vents and side vents). I built a new distributor (wood, cardboard, hot glue and fiberglass) for my project.

You'll probably need to pull it out and take a picture of what's there. It's quite likely that you'll need a new air distributor (this part; the photo is upside down for some reason: https://store.delorean.com/101367-ai...n-housing.html ) if you want to return it to stock. It's likely you'll be able to sell the modified parts to someone else who wants to do the same mod. A modern head unit with a flip-up screen that supports a reverse camera and Android Auto or Apply CarPlay is pretty nice to have.

-- Joe

My VIN:    2942

Does anyone have pics of the modification.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It all depends on how much was cut. To reverse the mod you would have to obtain whatever is missing or chopped up. No way to tell till you get it all apart. You really need the air from those center vents. The ones on each side are nowhere near enough by themselves. You will also have to undo all of the wiring that was done for the DVD player. The original plug for the original radio is probably not there. While you may not be able to get parts for the DVD player, you may be able to find someone who can repair it.
    David Teitelbaum

If you're lucky, they purchased an aluminum duct that redirect the vents from another Delorean owner on Facebook. If so, just remove that and it will easily go back. Although, you may need a new bracket as the original radio opening had to be opened up more to fit the vents.

If they cut up the air box, you'll have a lot more work ahead of you.

They do sell single din radios with larger screens like this, some have the screen that retracts (like the kenwood) or ones that has a screen that stays out.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Unless it just really bothers you, I would just leave it as is. If I were you, I would get a flip up navigation receiver.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10270

^-- for sure, all of the hard work has already been done for the vent swap and you'll be in for just as much work trying to revert, or maybe even more effort depending on the method used to re-route.

There are also fixed display head units, like the Alpine halo line. These would be preferable to the old-school motorized display type since there are no wimpy little gears or proprietary flex cables to wear out. Most of these allow Carplay/Android Auto which is really very nice for trips or navigating in unfamiliar areas, much better than using just a phone or GPS on a mount. Or just slap a DIN unit in if you prefer the smaller form factor.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    ^-- for sure, all of the hard work has already been done for the vent swap and you'll be in for just as much work trying to revert, or maybe even more effort depending on the method used to re-route.

There are also fixed display head units, like the Alpine halo line. These would be preferable to the old-school motorized display type since there are no wimpy little gears or proprietary flex cables to wear out. Most of these allow Carplay/Android Auto which is really very nice for trips or navigating in unfamiliar areas, much better than using just a phone or GPS on a mount. Or just slap a DIN unit in if you prefer the smaller form factor.
    Good points. I guess having the vents a bit lower isn't likely going to make a difference in heating and cooling, so maybe I will consider leaving it as-is. I was thinking of going the DIN unit in there since I never leveraged the full capabilities of a screen. I was even thinking a retro unit might be cool, but I haven't decided. Great suggestions, all around. I will be needing to dive into the air vents at some point soon as I believe the rubber connectors have become disconnected as there's almost no air flow currently coming from the center vents. Another issue on my list of things to tackle. I might have accidentally knocked them loose when I was troubleshooting my dead monitor unit.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Gas I believe the rubber connectors have become disconnected as there's almost no air flow currently coming from the center vents. Another issue on my list of things to tackle. I might have accidentally knocked them loose when I was troubleshooting my dead monitor unit.
    That rubber vent grommet/connecting tube can be tricky to get into place correctly. Either it is knocked loose or the flap has shut and something is preventing it from working(vacuum leak, mode switch, vacuum element, mechanical obstruction)
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9