FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone buy your DeLorean long-distance, using escrow company (or other secure way)?

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Anyone buy your DeLorean long-distance, using escrow company (or other secure way)?

Hi Gents. Just booked flight to look at a supposed "mint" '81 w 25k miles.
    Should the deal go through, will arrange for transportation pickup soon after agreeing to buy (if so).
    I'm assuming escrow is the safest way to go in transferring funds when the car is going on the truck.
    Is there another good way to purchase and ship that im missing?

Btw, car is 1800 miles away from me, so driving home is not a viable option!
    Thanks
    Last edited by 84Impulse; 06-25-2021 at 10:05 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Some transport companies can handle the deal for you. You give them a bank check made out to the buyer and they will hand it to the buyer when they pick up the car. You can also use car brokers to do the deal. To use a true escrow account you have to involve lawyers and they can be expensive. The best way is to be there yourself or have someone you trust be there and make sure what you are buying is what you expect. They can also handle cash and make last minute adjustments if necessary. Much better is you do it personally, you get an opportunity to ask if there is anything else that goes with the car like a cover, spare parts, manuals, etc. While most transport companies have some insurance, the best thing is to insure it yourself. Since you will have to do it anyway, just get it insured as of the day you buy it.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Airplane tickets are very cheap insurance. Really best to see the car in person. You can fly out and back almost anywhere in the US in a same day trip. I've done it a few times and walked away. If not possible find a known local owner to personally inspect the car.

If the seller is pointing you to a certain escrow agent be very careful of fraud.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I would bring cash (or whatever the seller will except) Then you take possession of the car when you make payment. Get temp plates and drive the car to the transporter of your choice. You may not want to drive 1800 miles, but you might drive 100 to the next city to hand it over to them.

On the subject of cash, moneyorders, bank checks, I once went to my bank and asked the manager what form of paper is the same as cash? His response "Cash".

I will say that the kind of people that own Deloreans are probably not scammers. I always say "Trust everyone and cut the cards".

My VIN:    10309

There is always a risk involved when handing over cash to a seller. Could be hidden faults that are costly to repair. But the absolutely one no buy at all is a title problem. Look it over carefully, check the VIN in both places, sellers name and if two people both have to sign. You can go to DMV with them if you are there. Other than that it is a risk and only you can decide how much risk you want to take before it's time to walk away. I went to DMV with my out of state title and immediately changed to my name. The clerk said I wouldn't believe how many people buy a car and then don't try to title it until after they've sunk a lot of money it in and find out it's got a problem and can't be titled to a new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Some transport companies can handle the deal for you. You give them a bank check made out to the buyer and they will hand it to the buyer when they pick up the car. You can also use car brokers to do the deal. To use a true escrow account you have to involve lawyers and they can be expensive. The best way is to be there yourself or have someone you trust be there and make sure what you are buying is what you expect. They can also handle cash and make last minute adjustments if necessary. Much better is you do it personally, you get an opportunity to ask if there is anything else that goes with the car like a cover, spare parts, manuals, etc. While most transport companies have some insurance, the best thing is to insure it yourself. Since you will have to do it anyway, just get it insured as of the day you buy it.
    Fantastic, thank you David! I was going to use Escrow.com...looks seamless but they charge $450 :P for it and transfers are electronic. I do like the idea of giving check to trucking company!!

I would have a friend be there for pickup, but its in the middle of nowhere!
    Thanks again, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Airplane tickets are very cheap insurance. Really best to see the car in person. You can fly out and back almost anywhere in the US in a same day trip. I've done it a few times and walked away. If not possible find a known local owner to personally inspect the car.

If the seller is pointing you to a certain escrow agent be very careful of fraud.
    Hi Dave. Flying out there on Friday, thanks! He didnt request escrow fortunately. He seems genuine, and is a business owner in his town. Thx again..

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    There is always a risk involved when handing over cash to a seller. Could be hidden faults that are costly to repair. But the absolutely one no buy at all is a title problem. Look it over carefully, check the VIN in both places, sellers name and if two people both have to sign. You can go to DMV with them if you are there. Other than that it is a risk and only you can decide how much risk you want to take before it's time to walk away. I went to DMV with my out of state title and immediately changed to my name. The clerk said I wouldn't believe how many people buy a car and then don't try to title it until after they've sunk a lot of money it in and find out it's got a problem and can't be titled to a new owner.
    Thanks C!! Not to be dense here, but how do I sort the Title transfer if he's getting a check or wire transfer at pickup, when im not present there?

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    Thanks man!! Good one, i didnt think about matching title to car VIN, etc.
    I just dont know the proper way to get the title when payment is being sent over a large distance.
    Thx again..

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

edmunds.com/car-buying/buying-a-car-sight-unseen.html

Most of the advice so far is listed in this article.

Escrow, yes.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast