FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone buy your DeLorean long-distance, using escrow company (or other secure way)?

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    There is always a risk involved when handing over cash to a seller. Could be hidden faults that are costly to repair. But the absolutely one no buy at all is a title problem. Look it over carefully, check the VIN in both places, sellers name and if two people both have to sign. You can go to DMV with them if you are there. Other than that it is a risk and only you can decide how much risk you want to take before it's time to walk away. I went to DMV with my out of state title and immediately changed to my name. The clerk said I wouldn't believe how many people buy a car and then don't try to title it until after they've sunk a lot of money it in and find out it's got a problem and can't be titled to a new owner.
    Hidden faults are the buyers problem. He is buying the car "as is". The seller would be a complete fool to warranty a 40 year old car. You check it out good and take your chances. Bring a machanic if you need to. But once you buy it, it's yours.

Definitely check that the vin matches the title and go with him to the title office to change the title. They will ensure he is who he says he is. (Name on title) Take possession of the car. If you don't, he could remove something on purpose or damage it by accident. Yes, a transport company can make the payment, but they are not going to check the car out. If there's a dent in the fender or a rip in the seat when it gets to you, now what? They say it was there when picked up. The owner says it was perfect.

Again, a Delorean owner is probably not a scammer, but that's not a reason to take chances. Buy the car and drive it away. Take it to your hotel, a storage unit or a transport company or whatever.

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Hidden faults are the buyers problem. He is buying the car "as is". The seller would be a complete fool to warranty a 40 year old car. You check it out good and take your chances. Bring a machanic if you need to. But once you buy it, it's yours.

Definitely check that the vin matches the title and go with him to the title office to change the title. They will ensure he is who he says he is. (Name on title) Take possession of the car. If you don't, he could remove something on purpose or damage it by accident. Yes, a transport company can make the payment, but they are not going to check the car out. If there's a dent in the fender or a rip in the seat when it gets to you, now what? They say it was there when picked up. The owner says it was perfect.

Again, a Delorean owner is probably not a scammer, but that's not a reason to take chances. Buy the car and drive it away. Take it to your hotel, a storage unit or a transport company or whatever.
    Thank you, brother, this helps me alot! 🤗

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    edmunds.com/car-buying/buying-a-car-sight-unseen.html

Most of the advice so far is listed in this article.

Escrow, yes.
    Thank you good sir!! 🙏

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2