FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Any Clue What This Is?

My VIN:    2607

Any Clue What This Is?

Talking about weird things, after a mayor work done on the engine I found this sensor (?) Lying on the floor. Any clue what is it? 20210629_102428.jpg

Enviado desde mi SM-G996U1 mediante Tapatalk

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrysony View Post
    Talking about weird things, after a mayor work done on the engine I found this sensor (?) Lying on the floor. Any clue what is it? 20210629_102428.jpg

That's the end of your O2 sensor wire where it goes through the firewall...

Someone might have cut it during a replacement of the sensor at some point, to make it easier to remove the wiring. I assume you still have a sensor in place and connected? Or have modified the engine to not need one
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Thank you for your insight. I'll try to fix it now that I know what to look for.

Thank you for your insight. I'll try to fix it now that I know what to look for.

The crazy thing to me is that appears to be the end of the wire from *inside* the car. The blue wire would feed into the Lambda computer, and that connector would stick through the bulkhead. Then your single black wire from the O2 sensor would connect to that terminal. Do you have a hooked up O2 sensor in the engine bay? This is a super odd thing to randomly find.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    The crazy thing to me is that appears to be the end of the wire from *inside* the car. The blue wire would feed into the Lambda computer, and that connector would stick through the bulkhead. Then your single black wire from the O2 sensor would connect to that terminal. Do you have a hooked up O2 sensor in the engine bay? This is a super odd thing to randomly find.
    There are several of us not running an O2 sensor. It’s not really needed, and can help alleviate some of the idle hunting problems that can plague owners.
    Yes, I know, it’s not a proper fix. But it works.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    There are several of us not running an O2 sensor. It’s not really needed, and can help alleviate some of the idle hunting problems that can plague owners.
    Yes, I know, it’s not a proper fix. But it works.
    Yeah, I don't care if he is or isn't - I mentioned that in the first response (though there's no chance you'd pass emissions in a place that requires testing without one)

It's just weird to find the interior side of the wire cut. I suppose it could have pulled all the way through and someone just took a sledgehammer-when-a-needle-would-do approach.
    Jon

However, I found a 2 part video on YouTube, where a guy is installing the lambda sensor on the engine and at the end he plugs it to a connector just like mine, that was hanging from the firewall.

However, I found a 2 part video on YouTube, where a guy is installing the lambda sensor on the engine and at the end he plugs it to a connector just like mine, that was hanging from the firewall.

Yep! My bet is that's what happened. There's a little rubber grommet in the firewall which the blue wire passes through. And there's supposed to be a plastic socket as well, but it probably got crunchy and broke off, so the wire pulled through. And then whoever removed the O2 sensor just cut it higher up than was necessary for whatever reason.

So, the moral of the story is: if you already have a connected and functional O2 sensor, this was a mistake somewhere in the car's past that's already been corrected. If you don't and would like to have one, you'll need to fix this (the Lambda computer is in the compartment under the parcel shelf behind the driver's seat). If you don't care to have an O2 sensor for whatever reason, then you don't have to do anything!

In case this image is helpful:

IMG_3653-me.jpg
    Last edited by jawn101; 06-30-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    Jon