FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel Accumulator - replacing the cloth feed hose

My VIN:    11596

Fuel Accumulator - replacing the cloth feed hose

I'm working through a hot start and low primary pressure problem and it appears my accumulator is on the way out. I replaced it once but it was perhaps 15 years ago. At that time I replaced the rear flexible hose but I did not replace the front one that comes from the pump. It still has the cloth sheath on it. What's the best way to replace this while I'm in there? Is it best to just cut the line off of the fitting point downward and attach a new high pressure fuel hose to it with fuel line clamps? I seem to recall you can access some of these fittings from above if you remove the center console. Is that recommended to really get this done right?

The reason I think the accumulator is bad is because when I remove the rear soft line from the single port, and then jump the RPM relay, there is a steady drip coming out of it at a rate of perhaps 2 drips per second. My understanding is it should not leak at all.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Thanks! I had already been in there once so it wasn't too hard to get everything apart again. Not sure why I didn't replace the high pressure hose back then but I'll take care of it now. No worries cutting the line off of the fitting.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Thanks! I had already been in there once so it wasn't too hard to get everything apart again. Not sure why I didn't replace the high pressure hose back then but I'll take care of it now. No worries cutting the line off of the fitting.
    Cool. Good luck. Make sure you torque the fuel injection clamps properly.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Thats right the single hose pointing forward should never have gas coming out, if so, the accumulator is bad

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Cool. Good luck. Make sure you torque the fuel injection clamps properly.
    What do you recommend? My first instinct is to use the smooth fuel injection band clamps and tighten them until the "feel tight" but not so much that it strips. Then test for leaks by jumping the RPM relay. Advice is appreciated.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    What do you recommend? My first instinct is to use the smooth fuel injection band clamps and tighten them until the "feel tight" but not so much that it strips. Then test for leaks by jumping the RPM relay. Advice is appreciated.

For both sizes, it looks like the maximum torque spec is 13 in lbs. (Inch pounds), but I would verify with the manufacturer of the clamps you buy. I always torque to spec on any fastener and I never have problems.
    Dana