FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice on pricing?

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I had a similar experience to Michael, (hell, it was much of his advice I followed when buying), I was looking at a car but was iffy on it. A few days later, a much nice one showed up, just a few miles away. A year later, it's not perfect, but it's getting there.

The difference this time is that you don't even have to wait. There's some really nice cars available right now:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ean-dmc-12-54/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39342707873...=10001&mkevt=1

The reality is, that unless the car has had a recent frame off restoration, there's going to be surprises. That's how it is on a 40 year old car. It won't
    be perfect unless you want to make it so.

But like Michael said, if you don't like this car or these, then just wait. It'll show up.
    Thx, Mr. C!! Ive seen both of those cars but they dont grab me for various reasons. I think im going to pass on this one...ty again

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You really can't go on the seller's description, he is trying to sell the car and figures once you make the trip he has you hooked. As nice as it may be, very few cars are "mint". There is always something. The nicer the car the less you will have to spend to fix it up but the more it will cost you to buy. Everything is negotiable and if you can get the price to a fair number you can fix it up yourself. That car would have been expensive, besides the cost of your trip add the cost of transport.
    Thanks David. Going to see how much he will go down before bailing. You are right...he thought i was hooked coming out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    I’m confused……you walked away from a car with a couple of stainless issues and didn’t even listen to it run or drive it? You didn’t even mention “the big three”, as I like to call it. Gotta look for frame issues, roof box issues, and block rot issues. Next in line would be electrical components. Did you check all the fluids? How did the door fit and panel alignment look? I couldn’t imagine going that far and just barely looking at it and not diving as deep as I could to assess it properly. Assume the worst, and if better than that, call it a win.
    Turning red as I read this as Im guilty of checking none of them!! Fark, I was finished once I saw the dent, thats why I bailed on going any further on this car. Should just cut losses and bail completely. Thx for the truthbombs!

I'm confused too. He bought a Lambo, why does he need so much handholding with a DeLorean? Perhaps this is where his expectations are at, in supercar land.

Ha! I bought the Gallardo from Dallas Lamborghini, the #1 dealer with an impeccable used car record. It was virtually new other than a small invisible chin rash. As for the D, im expecting many imperfections. I know a perfect specimen may be out there, but unlikely to come across!
    Last edited by 84Impulse; 07-09-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Good luck in your quest to find the right DeLorean for you.

Not sure whether you know about this reference book by James Espey that's aimed at buyers new to the car who want to know what to look for and how to shop for one.

The Illustrated Guide to DeLorean Automobiles
    is very useful.

At this point you seem to be in the 'Beginning Your Search' section that's on pages 7-9 or perhaps a bit beyond. Further on it explains what can be done in terms of stainless repairs. Nothing you haven't already seen on that topic in this thread already.

Happy hunting.
    Thanks for that, Rich, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    People use words like "mint" and "immaculate" a lot these days but have no real idea what they mean when it comes to describing a vehicle...make that THEIR vehicle. They just think they need those words in the description regardless of how close to the mark they come.

The first car I looked at was a similar situation although I only had to drive 100 miles to see it. A week later, a truly mint and immaculate example fell into my lap. 12+ years later she is still in my garage.
    Hi Michael,
    Your mailbox is full, tried to msg you.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Curious what the deal breaker was for the Bring A Trailer D that MrChocky posted a link to?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Curious what the deal breaker was for the Bring A Trailer D that MrChocky posted a link to?
    Hiya Ron. Sure. No doubt that is a nice specimen, but it is missing something that emotes me, whether it be the car's stance, esthetic harmony of the whole car with its individual components. it must pull me in!
    Specifically, not crazy about the darker color of the front fascia, or the gray interior, or its stance. All very fixable items, but I rather buy the whole enchilada like Michael's car (his is the only one ive seen in full detail here). Love original spec cars, but not too much for modified versions, unless tastefully done.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 84Impulse View Post
    I rather buy the whole enchilada like Michael's car (his is the only one ive seen in full detail here). Love original spec cars, but not too much for modified versions, unless tastefully done.
    *facepalm*. I'm out.

*facepalm*. I'm out.
    Explain, please

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast