FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on pricing?

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Advice on pricing?

Made a 1600 mile trip(and spent $1000) to see an '81 D with 22k miles that was declared to be "mint" by 80 yr old seller. Leading up to the trip he pleaded ignorant about there being any shallow dent in the door(as seen in photo), claiming hes never seen any dent. Also, I inquired about anomaly in a photo that looked like cosmetic damage above rear bumper (that he also said he has never seen). Lo and behold, when I finally saw the car, there was the 10" shallow vertical dent in all its glory! The rear anomaly ended up being a tiny bumper sticker!! So perhaps he's just getting old??

Another thing I noticed were minor grain irregularities, here and there (scrub scuffs, if you will!). Car is in excellent condition outside of these two issues. Has original tires on it still. He recently had brakes done and braided fuel lines, oil change, also fixed toll booth windows.

I never drove the car, nor powered it up, but the mechanic told me it runs well (I was too pissed off once seeing the dent, and really just wanted to leave). Owner has taken the car to a bodyshop and they assured him its an easy pop out (no kinks in panel, btw). Originally, heasked for $48k, but im thinking $40, or right under. Gonna cost $2k to ship, burned $1k on trip. What do you guys think I should offer from the info here? Sorry to be a pain in the ass member asking all these questions. I am split between pursuing the car, or just letting it go. Thanks in advance

I'm not inclined to give you a price, but I will tell you, if you make a 1600 mile trip, drive the car! Even if you don't buy that one, it will help you in a decision on another car.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I'm not inclined to give you a price, but I will tell you, if you make a 1600 mile trip, drive the car! Even if you don't buy that one, it will help you in a decision on another car.
    Good advice, thanks, but im bit of a perfectionist and just wanted to get the fck out of there after making a serious effort to see a "mint" car- with glaring defects!! Hope you see my point

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

People use words like "mint" and "immaculate" a lot these days but have no real idea what they mean when it comes to describing a vehicle...make that THEIR vehicle. They just think they need those words in the description regardless of how close to the mark they come.

The first car I looked at was a similar situation although I only had to drive 100 miles to see it. A week later, a truly mint and immaculate example fell into my lap. 12+ years later she is still in my garage.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    People use words like "mint" and "immaculate" a lot these days but have no real idea what they mean when it comes to describing a vehicle...make that THEIR vehicle. They just think they need those words in the description regardless of how close to the mark they come.

The first car I looked at was a similar situation although I only had to drive 100 miles to see it. A week later, a truly mint and immaculate example fell into my lap. 12+ years later she is still in my garage.
    Thats fantastic! And yes, you are right. Red flags should go up when u stary hearing mint or perfect!!
    I once flew to Miami to look at a Gallardo, and it seemed a tick on the weathered side. Got turned off and went home. The next week a truly mint one came up on Ebay, 1000 miles on odo. Never thought it would materialize, but it did!! Would love to try this again, but prices are climbing and market seems to be warming up. Wonder if I should just buy this 8/10 specimen and restore?

If you are like me, very rarely will a car(or anything) meet your expectations, but as long as it's close, you can bring it home. My DeLorean was indeed nice, but it took a few years to get it to my standards. In fact, I can only think of one time where the vehicle I bought 100% met my expectations...it was my 1998 Honda VTR1000. The guy was not lying nor did he exaggerate when he used those words and I love riding that bike more than driving my car. Patience trumps compromise.

FB_IMG_1569081932172.jpg

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

I had a similar experience to Michael, (hell, it was much of his advice I followed when buying), I was looking at a car but was iffy on it. A few days later, a much nice one showed up, just a few miles away. A year later, it's not perfect, but it's getting there.

The difference this time is that you don't even have to wait. There's some really nice cars available right now:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ean-dmc-12-54/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39342707873...=10001&mkevt=1

The reality is, that unless the car has had a recent frame off restoration, there's going to be surprises. That's how it is on a 40 year old car. It won't
    be perfect unless you want to make it so.

But like Michael said, if you don't like this car or these, then just wait. It'll show up.

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

I agree to the advice given here. I looked at several cars before I finally found the one I bought the 1st time. She was in great shape but still had some improvements needed. That's how these car become personalized and special. After having to part with 11056, 4266 was a fluke. I got a call out of the blue, and after going over pictures and video, bought it without driving it. ( due to the restrictions of the pandemic, mind you. Don't do that unless you have no other choice.) 4266 is a great car overall, but she needed some small changes too.

The point is the same as the others': if you aren't absolutely sure that this is the car for you, don't buy it. The right one will come along eventually. It is a big purchase and you gotta be happy with what you get.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You really can't go on the seller's description, he is trying to sell the car and figures once you make the trip he has you hooked. As nice as it may be, very few cars are "mint". There is always something. The nicer the car the less you will have to spend to fix it up but the more it will cost you to buy. Everything is negotiable and if you can get the price to a fair number you can fix it up yourself. That car would have been expensive, besides the cost of your trip add the cost of transport.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The nicer the car the less you will have to spend to fix it up but the more it will cost you to buy.
    I know you said earlier you like to cater your advise to the lowest common denominator for future generations but damn dude. Give even the stupidest people a little credit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast