FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice on pricing?

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I’m confused……you walked away from a car with a couple of stainless issues and didn’t even listen to it run or drive it? You didn’t even mention “the big three”, as I like to call it. Gotta look for frame issues, roof box issues, and block rot issues. Next in line would be electrical components. Did you check all the fluids? How did the door fit and panel alignment look? I couldn’t imagine going that far and just barely looking at it and not diving as deep as I could to assess it properly. Assume the worst, and if better than that, call it a win.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I had a similar experience to Michael, (hell, it was much of his advice I followed when buying), I was looking at a car but was iffy on it. A few days later, a much nice one showed up, just a few miles away. A year later, it's not perfect, but it's getting there.

The difference this time is that you don't even have to wait. There's some really nice cars available right now:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ean-dmc-12-54/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39342707873...=10001&mkevt=1

The reality is, that unless the car has had a recent frame off restoration, there's going to be surprises. That's how it is on a 40 year old car. It won't
    be perfect unless you want to make it so.

But like Michael said, if you don't like this car or these, then just wait. It'll show up.
    I was just looking at that second one. (Just for fun, not looking for a second D) It sure sounds pretty mint, but 10,000 miles is kind of scary to me. Every seal on that car is probably dried up. Sounds like they had to go through the fuel system to get it to run. (I know what that's like, lol) That is a lot closer to the OP, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    You didn’t even mention “the big three”, as I like to call it. Gotta look for frame issues, roof box issues, and block rot issues.
    Could you be more specific? (For the OP and me) I think my frame is OK, but I don't even know what to look for on the roof box and block rot.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    I’m confused……you walked away from a car with a couple of stainless issues and didn’t even listen to it run or drive it? You didn’t even mention “the big three”, as I like to call it. Gotta look for frame issues, roof box issues, and block rot issues. Next in line would be electrical components. Did you check all the fluids? How did the door fit and panel alignment look? I couldn’t imagine going that far and just barely looking at it and not diving as deep as I could to assess it properly. Assume the worst, and if better than that, call it a win.
    I'm confused too. He bought a Lambo, why does he need so much handholding with a DeLorean? Perhaps this is where his expectations are at, in supercar land.

Hi, are you in the DC/MD/VA area? Let's talk. PM sent.

My VIN:    5312

Bud these are DeLoreans/ a "mint" car was one that the owner has fixed all the issues. Out of the factory these cars were imperfect. You probably have this idea of what you want the car to be in your head like many do. It can be attained, but you will have to make it that way or find a rare one that fits what youa re looking for. Irregularities int he grain is VERY common. Can it be fixed? yes by tedious work which many dont have the time for. Its a slow mountain to climb.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I know you said earlier you like to cater your advise to the lowest common denominator for future generations but damn dude. Give even the stupidest people a little credit.
    Maybe a better way to put it is that it is cheaper (and faster) to buy a better car than to take a bad one and fix it up. No car will be perfect but some are better than others. The secret is to buy the very best one you can for the least amount of money. Hard to achieve. Look at how BHCC does it. They buy beaters and then try to sell it for way too much! To improve a car from a 4 to a 3 costs less than going from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1. Each "jump" is an increase in an order of magnitude. Some small cosmetic defects are correctable. At least it isn't a hidden surprise.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Good luck in your quest to find the right DeLorean for you.

Not sure whether you know about this reference book by James Espey that's aimed at buyers new to the car who want to know what to look for and how to shop for one.

The Illustrated Guide to DeLorean Automobiles
    is very useful.

At this point you seem to be in the 'Beginning Your Search' section that's on pages 7-9 or perhaps a bit beyond. Further on it explains what can be done in terms of stainless repairs. Nothing you haven't already seen on that topic in this thread already.

Happy hunting.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you are like me, very rarely will a car(or anything) meet your expectations, but as long as it's close, you can bring it home. My DeLorean was indeed nice, but it took a few years to get it to my standards. In fact, I can only think of one time where the vehicle I bought 100% met my expectations...it was my 1998 Honda VTR1000. The guy was not lying nor did he exaggerate when he used those words and I love riding that bike more than driving my car. Patience trumps compromise.

Attachment 66766
    We sound very similar. I am a fanatic about having things in near perfect condition. Have an original '99 gold Hayabusa and an '84 Ninja 900, both in exc condition. As soon as I see enough detractors on a vehicle, Im over it!

My VIN:    Coming, hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Kukem View Post
    I agree to the advice given here. I looked at several cars before I finally found the one I bought the 1st time. She was in great shape but still had some improvements needed. That's how these car become personalized and special. After having to part with 11056, 4266 was a fluke. I got a call out of the blue, and after going over pictures and video, bought it without driving it. ( due to the restrictions of the pandemic, mind you. Don't do that unless you have no other choice.) 4266 is a great car overall, but she needed some small changes too.

The point is the same as the others': if you aren't absolutely sure that this is the car for you, don't buy it. The right one will come along eventually. It is a big purchase and you gotta be happy with what you get.
    Thanks Kukem. Im on the fence abt this car. Owner is having all the repairs it needs, but my gut tells me to wait!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast