FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brake Light Staying On ***Split from WANTED Section***

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The metal disk has a small hole in it to prevent "sloshing" and flashing the warning light on. Very often that disk is so corroded that not much is left. There is a thread where the owner took the sensor all apart and cleaned it up and got it working. Otherwise you should replace it, you really should have it work. It will be your only warning before you lose your brakes.
    David Teitelbaum

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Now I'm that guy reviving an older thread, but I just started having these symptoms today as well. My fluid is clean and clear and full to the top, and I have the red cylinder and even the metal disk all in place and looking to be in great shape. I cleaned the connectors on the switch with QD spray, and it's still doing it a little bit. Has anyone gone further with cleaning the actual switch itself? Would love any advice before I try. I confirmed that pressing the button makes the light come on reliably, and releasing it when the car's not moving turns it back off. Just sometimes while in motion it flickers a bit. Definitely feels like symptoms of the switch being gummy inside.

IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9243.jpg
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    3937

It could be the parking brake switch causing the flickering. Have you fiddled with it at all to see?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Now I'm that guy reviving an older thread, but I just started having these symptoms today as well. My fluid is clean and clear and full to the top, and I have the red cylinder and even the metal disk all in place and looking to be in great shape. I cleaned the connectors on the switch with QD spray, and it's still doing it a little bit. Has anyone gone further with cleaning the actual switch itself? Would love any advice before I try. I confirmed that pressing the button makes the light come on reliably, and releasing it when the car's not moving turns it back off. Just sometimes while in motion it flickers a bit. Definitely feels like symptoms of the switch being gummy inside.
    Is there any play in the brake? If the parking brake cables aren't entirely tight, then it may bounce a bit when driving, and would cause this. The adjustment of course is at the calipers.

Thanks y’all - the first thing I did was just unplug the wire at the parking brake handle. It’s easy to get at, and yeah - confirmed it still did it even with that wire disconnected.
    Jon

Thanks y’all - the first thing I did was just unplug the wire at the parking brake handle. It’s easy to get at, and yeah - confirmed it still did it even with that wire disconnected.
    Then I'd be checking the wiring back to the harness. You might have a short.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Then I'd be checking the wiring back to the harness. You might have a short.
    Well, no… I’ve already electrically narrowed it down to the brake reservoir switch itself. What I was after was any advice on correcting the misbehaving part
    Jon

Well, no… I’ve already electrically narrowed it down to the brake reservoir switch itself. What I was after was any advice on correcting the misbehaving part
    Ah, yes. I guess it's Friday. On many cars (certainly mine), this has been disconnected and replaced with just a plain lid. I don't know the history of this, but perhaps it's for this reason.

My VIN:    0934

.....I cleaned the connectors on the switch with QD spray, and it's still doing it a little bit. Has anyone gone further with cleaning the actual switch itself? ....
    This switch repair thread may be useful, Jon.

The OP's original problem was a non-op switch. The teardown details should help your diagnosis just the same.

(As a bonus the last post in the thread describes another potential cause of the occasional-on signal you're seeing....luggage!)
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This switch repair thread may be useful, Jon.

The OP's original problem was a non-op switch. The teardown details should help your diagnosis just the same.

(As a bonus the last post in the thread describes another potential cause of the occasional-on signal you're seeing....luggage!)
    Oh! This is fantastic. I hadn’t found that thread searching. Exactly what I needed!

I don’t have the luggage issue as I cut a sheet of Masonite (same stuff as the seat backs are made of) to use as a fitted backer for my trunk carpet. And the trunk is empty anyway!

Appreciate it
    Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2