FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: CPR Alternatives *** Split from Wanted Section

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

CPR Alternatives *** Split from Wanted Section

Were you able to get this resolved?

If not, I have two suggestions for you:

Fuel Injection Corp. offers an outstanding rebuild service for a reasonable price, with quick turnaround. Really the only things that would prevent your unit from being rebuilt would be physical damage to the case, or torn diaphragm in the lower chamber.

If yours is damaged beyond repair, it's time to upgrade to UTCIS! I've installed a few of these, and have seen an instant improvement in driveability, cold performance, and all around refinement. A little pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    If yours is damaged beyond repair, it's time to upgrade to UTCIS! I've installed a few of these, and have seen an instant improvement in driveability, cold performance, and all around refinement. A little pricey, but worth it in my opinion.
    Did they ever solve the cold on-throttle enrichment issue with the UTCIS? I had a UTCIS-PT and had to implement the 83+ Volvo terminal 11 enrichment method. The car was barely driveable when cold as the UTCIS didn't enrich on throttle properly and the engine would go crazy lean. I argued with the guy about it, sending him numerous references to the service manuals, and the whole experience was really off-putting. The solution was "send it in for reprogramming" which was always going to be a hack solution as the UTCIS doesn't have coolant sensor.

Based on that experience, the price ($200 alone for the cable to program it? wtf), and I had to hack the software to get it running under win10, I'd recommend frankecis + microsquirt over the UTCIS as the capabilities are so much greater.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Did they ever solve the cold on-throttle enrichment issue with the UTCIS? I had a UTCIS-PT and had to implement the 83+ Volvo terminal 11 enrichment method. The car was barely driveable when cold as the UTCIS didn't enrich on throttle properly and the engine would go crazy lean. I argued with the guy about it, sending him numerous references to the service manuals, and the whole experience was really off-putting. The solution was "send it in for reprogramming" which was always going to be a hack solution as the UTCIS doesn't have coolant sensor.

Based on that experience, the price ($200 alone for the cable to program it? wtf), and I had to hack the software to get it running under win10, I'd recommend frankecis + microsquirt over the UTCIS as the capabilities are so much greater.
    I've been using and recommending the UTCIS-V modules for stock, or near stock engines; no experience with the PT version. Using the V version, I haven't seen any lean out issues cold or warm. Granted, it only gets down to the upper 30's here in winter.

I agree that FrankenCIS is a much more powerful solution. However, I believe that UTCIS has a several advantages that make it a better solution for those who "just want to drive the car":
    -USA made, USA support
    -Plug and Play, no programming needed for most applications
    -Sustains the relevance of the factory documentation, no additional variables to consider when troubleshooting fuel system.
    -No external module; self-contained
    -User serviceable with off-the-shelf parts

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    I've been using and recommending the UTCIS-V modules for stock, or near stock engines; no experience with the PT version. Using the V version, I haven't seen any lean out issues cold or warm. Granted, it only gets down to the upper 30's here in winter.
    Looks like the V model is pre-configured for vacuum enrichment? That might be why it works when cold, especially combined with Arizona climate

Totally get the plug and play aspect for owners that want a drop-in and done solution. Now that you have to pay $200 for a programming cable it's basically an appliance. Unless significant changes have been made, the tuning software adjusts curves by a row of sliders, not a typical map / spreadsheet style. It was really a bear to dial in a boost enrichment curve. No import/export option so I could use a different editor, either.

For owners curious about tuning or "other possibilities", once FrankenCIS is installed you're a stones throw from EFI. Especially if an opportunity presents itself, like the need for a fuel distributor rebuild.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I have a CPR from a Volvo B28 engine, not sure how much different the settings are. Just an option if you're interested.
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I have a CPR from a Volvo B28 engine, not sure how much different the settings are. Just an option if you're interested.
    It should work if it has the two vacuum ports for the delay valve.

I don't think I'd ever written this up, but since we're entertaining the notion of WUR/CPR alternatives:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?18...electronically

This is what I have.

02.jpg
    01.jpg
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Cast# looks like the one on DMCH??

CPR-WUR Chart.jpg

Casting is the same as DMCH but the last 3 are 123 and it's apparently for a 240 Turbo after I just looked it up. Not sure how it ended up on a B28 but it did run fine.
    -----Dan B.