FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Dreaded fuel gauge issues :(

My VIN:    3743

Dreaded fuel gauge issues :(

Need some advice on my fuel gauge for 3743. I currently have a DPI fuel pump assembly with integrated sender. My car is registering the fuel level below 4/4 when I have driven roughy 110 miles after filling up. I believe I should be closer to the half mark by now. Removed unit (key on)and manually moved float up and down with no change on the fuel gauge (still below 4/4).

Next I disconnected sending unit connector (3 wire connector) and gauge went to 12 o clock. I jumped green/black to ground and gauge went to empty.

Next with the fuel pump assembly still out. I disconnected the dpi harness with logic box. I then connected a test wire at terminal a (sender ground) to ground on my 3 wire connector. I connected the next test wire to terminal c (sender signal) and hooked the other end to green/black on my 3 wire connector.

With the float at the lowest point my fuel gauge is reading below half talk. With the float at the highest setting the gauge is reading right of 12 o’clock position.

I tested the resistance of the fuel sender by itself. At the lowest setting (empty) it reads 38 ohms, and at the highest setting (full) reads 248 ohms.

Any guidance on where to go next. Thanks everyone

*The gauge will move hooking up directly to the level sensor to the gauge, though the gauge is not correct at full or empty. Hooking back up the harness and logic box it goes right back to under 4/4

*I did email josh last week regarding my fuel level stuck below 4/4 and he suggested checking to see if the float was hitting the static wire which it was not.

*I was recently inside the cluster to replace the tach circuit board. I have checked and rechecked the connections at the PCB and don’t see any issues however I’m putting the information out there for full disclosure.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

On the part of manually moving the arm up and down with no change (key on). This is correct as a delay is built in for anti slosh conditions, going up and down hills etc. To properly test the existing gauge circuit prior to pump install everything is hooked up with the two pin connector on pump disconnected. Then you can pick positions on the sender to test without arm installed. The power needs to be cycled between arm movements for the unit to take measurements and the rpm relay needs to be jumped for constant voltage key on. The pump prime isn’t enough to get the reading and for the gauge to settle. This is why we have the two pin disconnected in pump as to not run it dry.

Hope this helps!
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    03572

Check your facebook post. There is a test for your fuel gauge you can do.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/