FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fuel? Smell

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    Man, I really wouldnt beat around the bush with the gas cap. Just replace it. My old one looked perfectly fine but the slightest imperfection will result in fuel vapors being released.

For the AC Box, there is a drain that goes through the chassis from behind the center console that drains out water. This has known to become clogged easily as it is a very poor design. Once this drain is clogged, it will eventually back up to the point where your entire AC box will be leaking onto your passengers feet in addition to your passenger floorboard. So with that said, unless you constantly have water in the floorboard, dont worry about the AC Box.
    Did you just buy a cap at the zone? I think mine is OEM and I'd kind of like to keep it that way. Probably will order a new cap next time I order fro DMC.

I'm aware of the drain tube. I had to fix it and clear it allready. I did use some bleach, but I don't think it could be in there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Are you saying that it is definitely coming from the AC vents?
    Yes, both times I had the fans on full blast and the smell was almost immediate after braking.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    The hot start problem is caused by fuel vaporizing in the lines after the engine has been shut off. This takes some time to accomplish. Generally speaking a hot start issue shows up 1-3 hours after engine shutdown.
    Interesting, on aircraft engines we have hot start issues too. On them, it seems like if you start it in five minutes, no problem. If you wait fifteen minutes, sometimes it's a big problem. Of course that's how long the fuel guys always take at the airport. If you wait 30-40 minutes, no problem. A lot of airports have battery carts just for such issues. (It easy to kill a aircraft battery.)

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Yes, both times I had the fans on full blast and the smell was almost immediate after braking.
    Got ya! - I didn't mean that the brake fluid was necessarily hitting the exhaust, just thinking about any other 'vents' (like the one by the battery, flow through,...) since you already checked the tank area and was still considering the accumulator.
    I'd say migration would be about the same WRT the rear brakes...

Throw a bottle of florescent dye made for gasoline in it (before you jack it up;-)

Interesting, on aircraft engines we have hot start issues too. On them, it seems like if you start it in five minutes, no problem. If you wait fifteen minutes, sometimes it's a big problem. Of course that's how long the fuel guys always take at the airport. If you wait 30-40 minutes, no problem. A lot of airports have battery carts just for such issues. (It easy to kill a aircraft battery.)
    It’s not a fair comparison. The injected Skyhawks I flew could fill their fuel lines via the electric pump. You also have complete control over fuel mixture. Priming the DeLorean will not fill the fuel lines. In the thousands of hours I have in fuel injected Skyhawks, I’ve never had a hot start issue, no matter how long or short we let the plane sit after shutdown.

ItÂ’s not a fair comparison. The injected Skyhawks I flew could fill their fuel lines via the electric pump. You also have complete control over fuel mixture. Priming the DeLorean will not fill the fuel lines. In the thousands of hours I have in fuel injected Skyhawks, IÂ’ve never had a hot start issue, no matter how long or short we let the plane sit after shutdown.
    I was not suggesting that the hot start issues were related. I've had hot start issues on carborated engines. What I think happens is a cold aircraft engine has much reduced compression. So the starter can crank it easily. A warmed up engine has full compression that the starter can only swing through a few times before it stalls the starter motor. If you don't get it started in those first few turns, your done. (At least with the onboard battery) A engine that was just shut down usually starts in those first few turns. But if it's sitting for 15-20 minutes, it takes a bit more.

I will say airplanes start easier than helicopters because the weight of the prop helps carry the rotation through the compression stroke.

A question to anyone.
    What is the recommended procedure when it won't start? Is there any reason to push the throttle? I mean, there is no direct connection to the plate. I guess there slightly less resistance to the air sucking it down.

My VIN:    03572

I was not suggesting that the hot start issues were related. I've had hot start issues on carborated engines. What I think happens is a cold aircraft engine has much reduced compression. So the starter can crank it easily. A warmed up engine has full compression that the starter can only swing through a few times before it stalls the starter motor. If you don't get it started in those first few turns, your done. (At least with the onboard battery) A engine that was just shut down usually starts in those first few turns. But if it's sitting for 15-20 minutes, it takes a bit more.

I will say airplanes start easier than helicopters because the weight of the prop helps carry the rotation through the compression stroke.

A question to anyone.
    What is the recommended procedure when it won't start? Is there any reason to push the throttle? I mean, there is no direct connection to the plate. I guess there slightly less resistance to the air sucking it down.
    Using some throttle will help keep it running after it fires. I rarely have to do that if my car has been sitting for a few months.

When I was flying airplanes (all carburetor equipped) It would always start quickly because of the prime with 3 shots. I know some owners that had starting problems with fuel injection on hot engine starts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Comparing DeLoreans to airplanes is like comparing DeLoreans to airplanes.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

What I think happens is a cold aircraft engine has much reduced compression. So the starter can crank it easily. A warmed up engine has full compression that the starter can only swing through a few times before it stalls the starter motor. If you don't get it started in those first few turns, your done.
    I think a more likely explanation is that a cold engine has more resistance than a warm one, and fuel vaporizes better in a warm engine.

I’m not sure what kind of plane you’ve flown, but I’ve never “stalled” a starter motor, nor had one quit after just a few turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Comparing DeLoreans to airplanes is like comparing DeLoreans to airplanes.
    That's because airplanes are the "white sheep" of the family. Helicopters are much closer comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post

When I was flying airplanes (all carburetor equipped) It would always start quickly because of the prime with 3 shots. I know some owners that had starting problems with fuel injection on hot engine starts.
    Carbs tend to start better when hot, fuel injected tends to start better when cold. However, the hot start procedure in the POH for late model 172s works like a charm. The trick is knowing when it needs the procedure (oil temp out of green arc is usually what we used), and not overpriming it to the point that fuel is dripping from the cowling.

I think a more likely explanation is that a cold engine has more resistance than a warm one, and fuel vaporizes better in a warm engine.

I’m not sure what kind of plane you’ve flown, but I’ve never “stalled” a starter motor, nor had one quit after just a few turns.
    Not following that first line. The cold engine starts easier. More resistance would make it start harder.

I've only flown a handful of planes. (Ive flown just about everything helicopter, I'm ATP) But I've stalled lots of starter motors in both. (Never did it in a turbine though, lol)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast