FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine dies if I "stab" the pedal or press the air plate.

My VIN:    1597

Engine dies if I "stab" the pedal or press the air plate.

Hi all summer is here which means fuel issues.
    What would cause the engine to die from a quick stab to the gas pedal or quickly press down on the air plate?
    Like a woman if you slowly press either the car will rev way on up and hold it. Quickly getting off the throttle leads to some grumbling but does settle into a nice idle. It is the quick application that appears to instantly kill the engine.

Thanks
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Hi all summer is here which means fuel issues.
    What would cause the engine to die from a quick stab to the gas pedal or quickly press down on the air plate?
    Like a woman if you slowly press either the car will rev way on up and hold it. Quickly getting off the throttle leads to some grumbling but does settle into a nice idle. It is the quick application that appears to instantly kill the engine.

Thanks
    Just pressing on the air plate is going to flood and stall the engine. Because the butterflies aren't being opened to allow more air to enter the engine.

Dave B.

I can just as easily instantly kill the engine from pressing the accel pedal or the throttle spool. Fairly heavy footed especially from a stop and I would have noticed having to baby the throttle. I do recall during a high rpm shift into 2nd the car would "buck" but this was intermittent to the point when it happened I would be aught off guard. Written off as bad gas.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Fuel pressure too low or really far off air/fuel mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    Fuel pressure too low or really far off air/fuel mixture.
    This is my guess.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I can just as easily instantly kill the engine from pressing the accel pedal or the throttle spool. Fairly heavy footed especially from a stop and I would have noticed having to baby the throttle. I do recall during a high rpm shift into 2nd the car would "buck" but this was intermittent to the point when it happened I would be aught off guard. Written off as bad gas.
    YO, Jim!
    Did you ever check the base settings after it started bucking?

Hi, not sure what base reading but the car has been fairly inactive for the last 3 months in which I made no changes. I did the whole grounds thing, loose hoses....
    Yesterday I was able to start and slowly rev it up high. Just couldn't punch it.
    I walked out earlier cleaned all the ballast, crimps. even took the coil out. Took 3 times to start as if starved. When it did it was a smooth idle.
    Went to the engine and by hand slightly turned the throttle spool. Engine instantly died and the mixture unit plate belched a cloud of white smoke in my face.
    To hot out so I walked away.

Hi, not sure what base reading but the car has been fairly inactive for the last 3 months in which I made no changes. I did the whole grounds thing, loose hoses....
    Yesterday I was able to start and slowly rev it up high. Just couldn't punch it.
    I walked out earlier cleaned all the ballast, crimps. even took the coil out. Took 3 times to start as if starved. When it did it was a smooth idle.
    Went to the engine and by hand slightly turned the throttle spool. Engine instantly died and the mixture unit plate belched a cloud of white smoke in my face.
    To hot out so I walked away.
    That sounds like it's lean.
    I'd check the vacuum lines especially to the distributor, and that it is working. Then timing. Then drag out the fuel pressure gauge...
    (Maybe check, but do not change the CO dwell,yet.)

Thanks Ron.... Not sure I am physically able to go bending over a engine. If you remember we tracked down a bad connection to the fuel pump. I took that time to rewire them right. The pump is one of SpecialT's and I never liked the way the cover with the 2 hoses kinda sat on top. ill fitting. I have moved that around since the last issue. Just to be sure. I moved it around to see if I could provoke a engine reaction but it didn't.

That said, all the fluids need changing as I cannot keep up with the car. It might be that time......

You know the car better than anybody. Probably the best looking underbody and interior stock there is. Dam near replaced anything fuel or electricity touches. You get first dibs.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 07-25-2021 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks Ron.... Not sure I am physically able to go bending over a engine. If you remember we tracked down a bad connection to the fuel pump. I took that time to rewire them right. The pump is one of SpecialT's and I never liked the way the cover with the 2 hoses kinda sat on top. ill fitting. I have moved that around since the last issue. Just to be sure. I moved it around to see if I could provoke a engine reaction but it didn't.

That said, all the fluids need changing as I cannot keep up with the car. It might be that time......

You know the car better than anybody. Probably the best looking underbody and interior stock there is. Dam near replaced anything fuel or electricity touches. You get first dibs.
    I'd be very interested if you go that way, but maybe we could swing meeting up as Dave Swingle mentioned back then? (When it cools off a bit ;-)

I'll give you a call...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast