FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: My advice on Delorean "bling". Also solved starting idle acceleration issues .

My VIN:    1597

My advice on Delorean "bling". Also solved starting idle acceleration issues .

Like they often do, out of the blue the D wouldn't start followed by the full routine, grounds, connectors, spark, gas....
    Nothing... Any press on the throttle or throttle assembly would kill it. I had to slowly build up rpm into a scream.
    Plugs, injectors, rpm relay, all looked good.
    Then last night out of desperation, I started the car and while considering which part of the nearby Lake I was going to park uphill from, I saw it.
    A bright white spark jumping from the from where the wire snaps onto the oem Bosch coil to the passengers side iirc. No wear, no tears in the rubber BUT I have one of those super duper bling stainless steel sheathed dist / coil wires. There is a rubber "boot?" that slides up snug to the metal part that snaps onto the coil. It had backed off creating a arc that was jumping to the side post. Hope I didn't damage anything over the last week trying to figure this out.

That said, I can honestly say many of the "upgraded" shiny parts are just that, bling. If it ain't broke, break it.
    So if you have starting issues, acceleration hesitation, overall rough engine, look for a visible coil arc and don't just assume "it's getting electricity" and jump to other areas. This was put on over 10 years ago and took that long to create fuel / timing issues. If you have one check the snugness and don't allow the braid to touch anything metal. Or just take it off....

See the purty braided line running to the coil? A rubber sheath back back 1/4 inch from where it plugs into the coil killed my car for a week.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 07-30-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    03572

Get rid of any shielded spark wires. I never knew what possessed someone to sell those. Even if they were trying to reduce radio interference that would not work very well.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I was a heli/fixed wing pilot for the State of SC and still document everything I have ever done to the car even as trivial as cleaning. I dug back because I have a faint memory of that dam thing creating a issue. Sure enough, I was having accel, rough running engine within a week of putting in on. I secured it better with tie wraps away from metal and "never" thought about it again.
    Who knows what other odd things it did and I threw money at it. Well the positive is I totally rewired the fuel pump "right", the ballast wiring with soldered connectors and fresh male/female connectors. The stock coil is 5 years old but I cleaned the connectors, cleaned up the dual connector side which was a little loose for me..
    I am unable to get to that elusive distributor but next time I hook up with Ron or maybe attend a meeting I want to get rid of it.
    It's 400 degrees outside so I am going to enjoy another covid vacation indoors. Thanks again Dave.... You Ron and others are probably the only reason I still have the car. Oh, did I tell you I might be buying back my old Pantera? The Pantera forum will be thrilled to see me back hahahaha..... Makes the D seem like a golf cart and the last time I drove it and barked the tires it cost me $18000 thousand dollars.
    I would probably sell the D if I get it though. Tough choice......
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 07-30-2021 at 03:20 PM.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    I was a heli/fixed wing pilot for the State of SC and still document everything I have ever done to the car even as trivial as cleaning. I dug back because I have a faint memory of that dam thing creating a issue. Sure enough, I was having accel, rough running engine within a week of putting in on. I secured it better with tie wraps away from metal and "never" thought about it again.
    Who knows what other odd things it did and I threw money at it. Well the positive is I totally rewired the fuel pump "right", the ballast wiring with soldered connectors and fresh male/female connectors. The stock coil is 5 years old but I cleaned the connectors, cleaned up the dual connector side which was a little loose for me..
    I am unable to get to that elusive distributor but next time I hook up with Ron or maybe attend a meeting I want to get rid of it.
    It's 400 degrees outside so I am going to enjoy another covid vacation indoors. Thanks again Dave.... You Ron and others are probably the only reason I still have the car. Oh, did I tell you I might be buying back my old Pantera? The Pantera forum will be thrilled to see me back hahahaha..... Makes the D seem like a golf cart and the last time I drove it and barked the tires it cost me $18000 thousand dollars.
    I would probably sell the D if I get it though. Tough choice......
    I always wanted to get a Pantera.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

It's loud, runs hot, a bunch of gauges that you eventually stop staring at because they raise your blood pressure so you rely on vibration, sound and smell. Love it!!
    Pretty much the exact issues the D has or really any older muscle car. Also mechanics don't hide and run away and will actually work on it unlike the D. Crappy electrical system, cooling issues, some ill fitting body panels but unlike the bare D, you need someone with a good eye to spot previous damage, bondo and suspension issues. Been a while but again like the D has a robust community although the price of admission the owners are mostly older and I don't thinkfor any it is their first exotic. I mean Elvis bought one because Priscilla liked the looks. He then figured it would kill her so he drove it and after numerous issues he pulled out his pistol and shot it.

Bang Bang !

:-D

Dam Elvis you sure get around.

Keep a round chambered.... I might have another car that needs your attention!