FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Things unique to the Delorean a "regular" mechanic needs to know.

My VIN:    1597

Things unique to the Delorean a "regular" mechanic needs to know.

I have a growing list of things that I or another Delorean owner would that I am physically unable to do. The Porsche/import places want nothing to do with it and after watching a guy hammering on weights on the outside of my rare dark grey wheels chipping the paint and another putting a jack through the bottom of the car under the battery, I reluctantly need to again try and find someone. Before I post for a knowledgeable Delorean owner/mech soon to come or have it transported but 1st I want to try this one mechanic.

QUESTION- Pertaining to the following things I need done first. What if any nuances and things specific to the Delorean do you suggest a mechanic should know before you leave him the car?

They are... Clutch pedal is getting softer, fluid looks like bourbon I fished out green flakes in the tank. It needs to be flushed and I see slight former leakage around the rubber boot inside at the pedal. I have a new M cylinder so replace it.

2- Brakes need flushing, bleeding etc and a good overall inspection. They work well with some pull if you really stand on the pedal.

3- A/C- It has been iirc 10 years since a R134 conversion, all new hoses, compressor... Works well enough to keep you alive but over 85 and sunny and it cannot keep up. Needs to be tested and more than likely either some added or preferred evac, flush and the whole 9 yards.

Fuel filter is 10 years old and some other issues but the fluids, brakes, clutch, ac are the main things. I have found a master mech who owns a large respectable shop and maintains all of the SC vehicles for Lowes. When ask he seems to know the Delorean and also maintains his toys. I have all the manuals and a gig of every imaginable tech document, "how to" articles on the car on a thumbnail and laptop.

So anything of the above common car jobs that I need to pass on to a mech feel free to chime in. Or if you know anyone in the SC area who wants to come down I will make it worth their effort and if it takes over a day I will set you up in any local hotel of your choice. I live on Lake Murray 10 minutes off the interstate in Irmo SC.

Here is a partial list of things done to the car. None within the last 5-7 years listed.

Ac serviced
    oil change/filter
    Replaced steering bushing
    New front calipers
    Tail lights replaced with PJs
    Replaced heater valve
    New starter-
    Replaced all water hoses
    Replaced fuses,relays
    Cleaned all grounds.
    New plugs
    Replaced WUR
    Replaed rv mirror with wider one. Rv mirrors replaced with convex
    Airbox cover,cold air induction.
    Removed Exhaust manifolds
    Removed Exhaust manifold studs
    Drilled out broken manifold studs
    Installed new manifold studs
    Installed new exhaust manifold gaskets
    Installed exhaust manifolds
    Installed new SS starter heat shield
    Installed crossover pipe with new gaskets
    Replaced Oxygen sensor
    Installed CAT with new gaskets
    Straightened muffler brackets
    Exhales.....Takes breath
    Installed Muffler
    Installed new otterstat
    Repaired otterstat wiring
    Installed third brake light
    Tested fuel injector spray
    Installed new fuel injectors
    Installed SS fuel injector lines
    Installed new fuel filter
    Installed new supply line from filter to distributor
    Inspected fuel pump compartment
    Installed ignition cap & rotor
    Installed 8mm ignition wires
    Installed SS braided coil wire
    Installed new coil
    Installed slave cylinder
    Bled clutch hydraulics
    Adjusted clutch linkage, reverse now works
    Cleaned out valley
    Installed new vacuum solenoid
    Installed new vacuum hoses
    Installed new water pump
    Installed new water pump hoses
    Installed new Alternator
    Installed new alternator belt
    Installed new A/C belt
    Pressure tested coolant system
    Installed new emergency brake pads
    Installed new springs in rear, after Hervey shocks failed
    Installed new springs and shocks in the front
    Installed new tie rod ends
    Installed front end recall kit
    Removed rear foam.Dynamated rear wall,rear floor.
    New fuel pump kit. Johns kit
    Tabs replaced
    All new tires,balanced.
    New headliner kit from DMC. Waiting-DONE
    SS Throttle shield. SS door step outline full-DONE
    SS louver support
    Shift isolator installel. Also added dynamat.
    New Dmc GAS CAP
    15 POUND ss coolant cap.
    Spring
    Accumulator w/new flexible lines
    Gear oil change -
    replaced missing exhaust bolts, checked/tightened exhaust hangers, upper coolant hose bracket, otterstat, fill and bleed - 2hrs
    lower coolant bracket
    idler pulley bearings

SUMMER 09
    A/C Compressor replaced.Hgh/low lines replaced. Accululator replaced.New orfice tube.Evacuated,recharged R134A.
    Fuel filter K&N filter Bosche Plat 4+ plugs. Cold start valve. Freq Valve.
    BF Goodrich Radial T/A 235/60/15 for the rears and 195/60/14 for the fronts.Rot/balance.
    Front tie rod ends. Front end align. Hood weather stripping.Fuel pump cover resealed/painted.

Fall 09 10/10

INSTALLED KYB rear shocks with aluminum collars by Marty Maier - [email protected]
    Emergency brake fixed. Cable replaced,l&r pads checked and adjusted.Bulb replaced in dash.
    Angle drive "speedometer" replaced.
    Fuel distributor replaced with NEW rebuilt form SpecialT.
    Engine was tuned with fluke meter. Fuel pressures tested. Resting pressure testing performed.F injectors tested for spray pattern.
    Cold start valve tested ok.Timing tested.
    Fall - Door lights replaced with DMC LED lights.
    Front trunk wood floor added. Cut to size and painted with rubberised underbody paint "Lowes".
    DMC cold air induction hose added.

12/9/09-Replaced Master cylinder. Hooked up antenna wire to windshield antenna which had been cut. Right front speaker wires were crimped down. They easily come loose so check if speaker does not work.
    12/28/09- Replaced front 2 speakers,unplugged rear 2 and wired up 2 box speakers.Unplugged non working windsheild antenna and hooked up "tune trapper" antenna.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

One thing I will recommend on the AC is tinted glass. I found that the AC works good when there's no sun. Even if you don't prefer dark tint, there is ceramic tint that is nearly clear. I had my windshield done with it and my wife said there's a differnce when wearing shorts and the sun is shinning on her legs. Same thing on the side glass when your driving south in the morning.

My VIN:    10907

An obvious thing that can be overlooked - explain to them how to put it in reverse so they don't grind it when they drive it in/out of the bay!

When I flew I had these cut to your pref tinted material that felt gummy that sticks onto glass. Both sides I cut to size and sticK on the inside. Also have a high rpm but fairly silent fan with a swivel base and a spring loaded clamp which I attach in betreen seats mounted on that board that runs across the rear.

Explaining proper door open and closure is important and to not dare touch that torsion bar. I painted red squares along the proper jack points.

All good tips Thanks. I would never other than tires have any of the generic brake or parts stores with a garage touch the car. IIRC Pep boys actually had the Delorean in their alignment database and is how I got mine done. Other than that at least my local area mechs are kids outta HS or places that replace parts. not actually fix anything.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you convert to -134 you lose about 10% of your cooling capacity. With R-12 you have approximate 24,000 BTU's or 2 tons. Unlike a house A/C, the A/C in car does NOT have a constant capacity. In a car the capacity varies because of vehicle speed, engine RPM, heat load, etc. As for what an "ordinary" mechanic needs to know to work on a Delorean, like most old cars, there is no computer or OBD port to figure out what's going on so the most important thing is he has to understand how things are supposed to work and be able to diagnose and fix problems when they don't. A skill that is lacking in most younger techs these days.
    David Teitelbaum

Euroworx where my father takes his older Porsche told me straight up he or his mechanics don't have the time to read up on and learn as they go for ONE specific type. Nor could he guarantee the work and the shop rate would be $$$$$$.

The only thing close is a local man owns a 80s Countach which has a similar fuel inj system. I use to drive it for he preferred convertibles. He had a man who worked on British cars, TR6,7. 8s but moved.
    Like me, his problem with the Countach is lack of driving at speed over a distance. We basically do 40 mph around a large scenic lake that is 23 miles. Not enough to blow out the crud and heat cycle the engine. He now takes his up to Charlotte approx 2 hours due N of Columbia.

Important that the D is running well and just wait till it cools off outside and worry about the fluids then.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Euroworx where my father takes his older Porsche told me straight up he or his mechanics don't have the time to read up on and learn as they go for ONE specific type. Nor could he guarantee the work and the shop rate would be $$$$$$.

The only thing close is a local man owns a 80s Countach which has a similar fuel inj system. I use to drive it for he preferred convertibles. He had a man who worked on British cars, TR6,7. 8s but moved.
    Like me, his problem with the Countach is lack of driving at speed over a distance. We basically do 40 mph around a large scenic lake that is 23 miles. Not enough to blow out the crud and heat cycle the engine. He now takes his up to Charlotte approx 2 hours due N of Columbia.

Important that the D is running well and just wait till it cools off outside and worry about the fluids then.
    Can you get it up to Greenville? I'm getting settled in. Lift is in storage but everything else is available. We're on vacation at the moment but back in a couple of weeks. I could maybe come there if I don't need to haul an entire car full of tools.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Hi...

Just solved? a issue and haven't driven the car any distance in a while but YES. We can wait until these blistering temps come down but either way would be fine.
    I could even drop the car off with you so you could do it at your own pace and if the car needs any parts you can order them.

I obviously stress out and a little wordy but enjoy your vacation and this sounds like a plan. Thanks, Jim in SC.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Hi...

Just solved? a issue and haven't driven the car any distance in a while but YES. We can wait until these blistering temps come down but either way would be fine.
    I could even drop the car off with you so you could do it at your own pace and if the car needs any parts you can order them.

I obviously stress out and a little wordy but enjoy your vacation and this sounds like a plan. Thanks, Jim in SC.
    Take Dave up on that offer and finally get that running like a champ. Yes it's always better to have the mechanic working at his own place where all his tools and parts are located.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Yeah man!!!!!!

There are the things that need to be done, those while you are there and those you run across.

I am in worse shape than my car and will also need to be lifted up on a rack and see whats going on. Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast