FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Surprising discoveries while removing engine

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Surprising discoveries while removing engine

As I'm going through the process of removing the engine and transmission from my car, I've discovered several things that I think my be unique as I start to take things apart.

I found that I'm missing a body mount bolt on the rear passenger pontoon. I found a super weathered body bolt inside the rear pontoon that had no threads left on it that probably was there originally. I felt like a freaking archeologist digging around in there.
    PXL_20210806_224851583.jpg PXL_20210806_224858752.jpg

I'm missing multiple bolts on the bracket on the rear driver side:
    PXL_20210806_222241253.jpg

The rear quarter panel and the bracket it attaches to appears to have been ground down and the mounting screws relocated. I can't think of a reason why this would have been done and am fairly certain that I am the first person to remove the rear fascia on this car to see this. If that's true, then this would have been done during assembly.
    PXL_20210807_055002359.jpg PXL_20210807_055037595.jpg

Also, I knew that the studs on the bottom of the rear fascia would probably snap off, which they all did but one, but then I discovered that there is also one stud on each end of the rear fascia that mount behind the rear tires, both of which were long gone on mine.
    PXL_20210806_223345173.jpg

I'm sure there will be more as I get further into this.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Also, I knew that the studs on the bottom of the rear fascia would probably snap off, which they all did but one, but then I discovered that there is also one stud on each end of the rear fascia that mount behind the rear tires, both of which were long gone on mine.
    PXL_20210806_223345173.jpg
    https://www.deloreango.com/ca/stainl...mper-bolt.html

They make these as replacements. DeLoGO says there are 15 used on the rear fascia. I didn't think there were that many. I thought it was actually 9. The 7 that run along the bottom that fasten to the edging strip and the 2 you mentioned (1 one on each side) for the corners. Maybe there are actually 4 in each corner?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is also possible this was done at one of the QAC's. There was a lot of parts swapping done to get cars shipped by VIN and there were shortages of parts so some cars got cannibalized and later reassembled.
    David Teitelbaum

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    https://www.deloreango.com/ca/stainl...mper-bolt.html

They make these as replacements. DeLoGO says there are 15 used on the rear fascia. I didn't think there were that many. I thought it was actually 9. The 7 that run along the bottom that fasten to the edging strip and the 2 you mentioned (1 one on each side) for the corners. Maybe there are actually 4 in each corner?
    There are the 9 on the bottom, then the 3 on the edges near the top on each side that secure it to the fiberglass backing plate. I had one of those snap off as well, so I might as well replace that one too.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is also possible this was done at one of the QAC's. There was a lot of parts swapping done to get cars shipped by VIN and there were shortages of parts so some cars got cannibalized and later reassembled.
    Bingo. QAC centers did this for better panel fitment.