FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DPI Spec Suspension package front and rear

My VIN:    11596

DPI Spec Suspension package front and rear

Anyone on here running this kit, the latest version with the caster limiting system? I have some questions and just want to talk through some installation thoughts with someone who has already been there done that. Thanks. We can take it to PM.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Anyone? Still looking for an owner with this set to bounce some questions off.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Andy! Did you see what we forwarded?
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Hi Josh no I have not seen anything in the last couple of days. Try again? I checked my spam folder too.

Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Will forward again. Picture heavy and may have exceeded file size without compressing. We will also put it on the product page for additional reference.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Okay either that or maybe put it in Dropbox or something

Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

I DM'd the OP. DeLorean Industries did my install, though - so I can't help on that front

Josh, I'm interested in this documentation too - just for historical/reference purposes during future service if it's needed one day.

Hi guys,

Bumping this thread. I'm still looking for anyone who bought this complete package and did the install themselves. I have a few questions, specifically:

1) the fitment of the spherical bearing into the frame is not as tight as I expected, I suppose some shimming is necessary (about 1.5 mm play fore and aft along the pivot bolt)??? I can't find any photos of this LCA installed that appear to be shimmed with washers.

2) the correct placement of the thin washers that are included on each pivot bolt (2 washers per bolt). Needless to say I don't want to put everything together only to find that I put them in the wrong position and now I have to take it apart again and get another alignment. Putting the washers in the wrong location is going to affect caster. I assume they act as snub washers to resist binding so again, very important they are where they belong. Since everything is 1/2" these washers could be used to shim the bearing but I think I need them elsewhere.

3) Speaking of alignment, should my shop be trying to get the 3.5 - 4 deg positive caster that's spec'd in the DMC bulletins?

It would be great if someone would be willing to text or FB message with me while I'm in the garage so I can show photos of what I've got going on.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10270

I have a mix of the DPI LCAs but with KW suspension, but can answer these for you:

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    1) the fitment of the spherical bearing into the frame is not as tight as I expected, I suppose some shimming is necessary (about 1.5 mm play fore and aft along the pivot bolt)??? I can't find any photos of this LCA installed that appear to be shimmed with washers.
    I had the opposite experience - I'd done some paint touch-up with the previous LCA removed and had to remove the paint. Fit was tight but a little grease & a soft mallet got it in place without much drama.

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    3) Speaking of alignment, should my shop be trying to get the 3.5 - 4 deg positive caster that's spec'd in the DMC bulletins?
    I would ask them to equalize caster within book spec. I thought I'd written down the final number that I ended up at but can't find it, but I think it was around 3.5-3.75. My car had a fair amount of cross caster which doesn't seem uncommon. Driving now it's like I'd added autosteer and I'm only lightly exaggerating, it tracks as straight as an arrow.

Ideally you'd want as much caster as you can get, but using the LCA will push the wheels into the front well. Adding lots of extra caster is a better job for a replacement UCA. I played around with adding lots of caster but didn't like where the wheels ended up.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection