FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine mount replacement

My VIN:    3937

Engine mount replacement

Questions now and perhaps a how-to guide for others later.

I'm looking to replace my engine mounts. They aren't in very nice shape and it's time. I also have a new ground braid to put in on the passenger side.

Brand new mounts for both sides (identical, just two of everything) including the M8 bolts and washers for attaching the mounts to the frame.

I am intending on doing this at home on my own. In the garage with the car up on jack stands on all four corners. It's not a ton of extra space under there for leverage, but it is what it is.

What I am wondering is how do the existing mounts wiggle out with the engine still in place? I had thought what I would do is gently jack up slightly the engine while the car is on stands by using my jack with a piece of wood pushing up on the oil pan. I thought this is how it would need to go to take the weight off the mounts and let me loosen the bolts and get them out.

Is this the right approach? I am also not sure about accessibility without any other components removed. Does the catalytic convertor need to come out to get a wrench or socket in there on the driver's side mount? And the passenger side looks easier, even with the starter still in place.

Any other words of advice or do's or don't's?

IMG_4924.jpgIMG_4926.jpgIMG_4928.jpg

(...also not sure what I started doing wrong as my pics are posting sideways and they never used to do that?)

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

This How-To is posted on that topic.

It covers your good questions about the approach to this job.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    3937

Thanks a lot, Rich. I didn't know that was there. Much appreciated you pointing it out to me. Time to get 'er done!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior