FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lost a water pump belt - some data & lessons learned

My VIN:    10270

It's the OEM optional rack - I would rate it "ok". Has to come off to open the louvers. Fits in the trunk but a little awkwardly, the OEM kit comes with a hold-down clamp to keep it from rolling around (much). The hardware that mounts to the quarter panel has crappy paint and is prone to rust, and you have to cut the "support buffers" creatively to make it all come together. But what it lacks in finish it makes up for in pragmatism.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

The great 2021 overheat event just keeps on giving!

Less than a week before the Michigan fall drive I started to see coolant running down the front of the motor. USB borescope camera showed that the weep hole was dry but found at least one hose clamp dripping. Excavated down in to the valley and found 6 loosened water pump & heater hose clamps and a flooded valley. These hoses & clamps were installed in 2018 and have had numerous leak-free trips the following years. I'm thinking the very high temp cycle cause them to sink in to the hoses and the clamps lost tension.

Tightened a few clamps, doubled-up a few, and swapped some thin band Norma clamps for thicker/wider Ideal Smartseal. Successfully held pressure for many hours and was all set to drive a few days before departure. Warmed up the car in the garage, went for a little drive, all is good.

Friday morning, 20 minutes out of town, coolant temp is holding rock solid at 145F. A tiny voice in my head reminds me of the "fail safe" thermostat also installed in 2018. FWIW the "overheat lock-open" feature does work, quite well.

Because more data:
    -A new functioning thermostat gained 0.21 deg/s F, compared to a stuck open which gained 0.155 deg/s.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Because more data:
    -A new functioning thermostat gained 0.21 deg/s F, compared to a stuck open which gained 0.155 deg/s.
    I'm a little lost here. When you say "gained" Gained from what? The 190 where it opens? Or are the decimal points in the wrong place? (21 degrees instead of .21) Earlier, you said the stuck open gave 145 degrees. (Not 155)

Ive never heard of the Fail safe thermostat. I assume from your description, it latches in an overheat situation. I guess that means you must unlatch it manually? (Take it out and unlatch) Or is it permanent open after that? What is the logic behind that?

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I'm a little lost here. When you say "gained" Gained from what?
    From cold, for every second of operation, a functioning tstat increased engine temps 0.21 degF compared to the 25% slower stuck-open rate of 0.155 degF

From the company:
    https://motorad.com/tech-tips/fail-safe-thermostats/

I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. But it was one of the few options at the time with an integrated jiggle valve.

The great 2021 overheat event just keeps on giving!

Less than a week before the Michigan fall drive I started to see coolant running down the front of the motor. USB borescope camera showed that the weep hole was dry but found at least one hose clamp dripping. Excavated down in to the valley and found 6 loosened water pump & heater hose clamps and a flooded valley. These hoses & clamps were installed in 2018 and have had numerous leak-free trips the following years. I'm thinking the very high temp cycle cause them to sink in to the hoses and the clamps lost tension.

Tightened a few clamps, doubled-up a few, and swapped some thin band Norma clamps for thicker/wider Ideal Smartseal. Successfully held pressure for many hours and was all set to drive a few days before departure. Warmed up the car in the garage, went for a little drive, all is good.

Friday morning, 20 minutes out of town, coolant temp is holding rock solid at 145F. A tiny voice in my head reminds me of the "fail safe" thermostat also installed in 2018. FWIW the "overheat lock-open" feature does work, quite well.

Because more data:
    Were the hoses silicone? Clamps on Silicone hoses need to be tightened every now and then. For the hoses on the back of the water pump, it's usually recommended to use just standard rubber hoses to avoid that issue.

Y-pipe hoses are silicone but the rest were not. Will switch back to quality rubber hose at the next water pump service though as I don't see the benefit and they can be more difficult to seal. The 45-degree hoses at the heads were rubber, one of which had developed a regular drip (Norma clamp). You really shouldn't have to tighten clamps repeatedly if the correct types are used, rather follow the initial torque setting, followed by a waiting period, then a re-torque. If you have to keep torquing then the hose is yielding or the clamp is the wrong size or deforming.

Overall I'm not sold on Norma clamps in hard to reach areas or for for silicone use. They're nice as they don't expose the hose to serrations and seem built solidly, but they are not particularly wide. I have higher hopes for the SmartSeal which are almost twice as wide w/ a protective band to prevent serrations from digging in. The system held 18psi cold once everything was reclamped and such and survived last weekends 500+ mile journey leak free. Fortunately I didn't need the heater but did temporarily reprogram a few of the warm-up temperature points to get some closed loop benefits.

From cold, for every second of operation, a functioning tstat increased engine temps 0.21 degF compared to the 25% slower stuck-open rate of 0.155 degF

From the company:
    https://motorad.com/tech-tips/fail-safe-thermostats/

I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. But it was one of the few options at the time with an integrated jiggle valve.
    That web site says that standard thermostats lock closed when your car over heats. Why would that be? First I've heard of that. I've overheated lots of times and never changed the thermostat on my truck. It darn sure did not lock closed. I'm not sure I want it to lock open either. Why wouldn't you just want it to work as normal?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    That web site says that standard thermostats lock closed when your car over heats. Why would that be? First I've heard of that. I've overheated lots of times and never changed the thermostat on my truck. It darn sure did not lock closed. I'm not sure I want it to lock open either. Why wouldn't you just want it to work as normal?
    It's an advertizment...! Word games.
    A standard thermostat doesn't "lock" shut -- They can get "stuck" shut and cause an overheat (due to rust, debris, wax degrading, etc). (They can stick in any position.) Normally they do as you suggest, just work, no locking to it.
    Check out the pic HERE. When the "fail-safe" thermostats reach an overheat temp, the tabs catch, preventing it from closing (unless you manually release them). (They don't actually revert to a safe condition, because the engine will run too cold. Nor do they prevent overheating in the first place. So they are not really "fail safe".)

Y-pipe hoses are silicone but the rest were not. Will switch back to quality rubber hose at the next water pump service though as I don't see the benefit and they can be more difficult to seal. The 45-degree hoses at the heads were rubber, one of which had developed a regular drip (Norma clamp). You really shouldn't have to tighten clamps repeatedly if the correct types are used, rather follow the initial torque setting, followed by a waiting period, then a re-torque. If you have to keep torquing then the hose is yielding or the clamp is the wrong size or deforming.

Overall I'm not sold on Norma clamps in hard to reach areas or for for silicone use. They're nice as they don't expose the hose to serrations and seem built solidly, but they are not particularly wide. I have higher hopes for the SmartSeal which are almost twice as wide w/ a protective band to prevent serrations from digging in. The system held 18psi cold once everything was reclamped and such and survived last weekends 500+ mile journey leak free. Fortunately I didn't need the heater but did temporarily reprogram a few of the warm-up temperature points to get some closed loop benefits.
    I haven't tried them (yet) and maybe someone else on this board has, but what about spring clamps? They are supposed to provide constant pressure on the hose no matter what. Granted they are a PIA to remove and install, but may be worth it for the hoses in the VOD? I was thinking of switching to these on my next coolant flush/change.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I haven't tried them (yet) and maybe someone else on this board has, but what about spring clamps?
    There are a few options in constant torque / spring loaded / T-bolt clamps. I was a little time limited otherwise I might have explored them. Those can be pretty big and I don't think they would fit all of the water pump fittings with the larger adjusters. Napa did have CT type clamps in stock for $10 each which was a bit more than I wanted to spend. A pair of the Smartseal clamps was around $6? And I knew they'd fit all of the hoses involved.

Basic T-bolt clamps might work too but they have to be closed to the correct sizing as their adjustment range is limited. The market is flooded with cheap T-bolt clamps which are probably OK for air use, but for fluids would only select name brand parts.

For my next T-stat I'll probably avoid the fail safe type. For no other reason than I have all sorts of warnings programmed in now related to coolant temp that will be difficult to ignore. Maybe there is a failure mode that damages the mechanism or wax pellet somehow, or if it pushes in to the t-stat housing and bends. If so I can appreciate a design that says "the valve has opened much further than the normal position, so assume something has failed and at least prevent the t-stat from exacerbating the condition".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2