FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Center console winter project/upgrades

My VIN:    3610

Center console winter project/upgrades

Hey guys, my center console are is sorely in need of some loving care. The Craig radio display has fully died out, the cassette deck needs cleaned and new belts (maybe add Bluetooth), my A/C mode switch needs replaced (and is out of stock), my switches are all crooked and need aligned, my rear antenna no longer raises or lowers, and I want to upgrade to LED lights for behind the control panel.

So here is where I would like some help, some of the guides are older and I was wondering if any more up to date solutions have been made in last couple years.

So if anyone has any suggestions on those problems or any I should do while in there, please let me know.

Work list:

1. Craig radio clean and new belts.
    1a. Bluetooth conversion

2. A/C mode switch

3. Control Panel LED conversion kit.

4. Need to clean up switches(MattAligner)

5. Fix/Replace rear antenna.

Thanks guys.

My VIN:    3937

Automatic or manual trans?

If automatic, check and/or replace the little bulb that lights up the PRND21 area from underneath. If a manual, check that those two wires that would go to the PRND21 light bulb are still taped off and tucked away so not to short to anything. Or use them for some other powered contraption of your choosing.

Console clock works? Now's a good time to take it out and clean it up or replace it with a working one.

Check down around the shifter for debris or dead bugs or whatever. You should also have a rubber noise insulating cover piece. Check condition, replace if you choose. https://store.delorean.com/108903-ma...-isolator.html

As you mentioned with your antenna not working, see what else got inadvertently pulled out or disconnected while you're back there. You can add the rubber sleeves that snug over the two air vents in the middle as they aren't always the easiest things to get aligned and slipped back in place.

Cigar lighter with lighted ring? Is yours working? Does it fit newer/deeper plug accessories? Replacements are easy to come by now, try the Vanagon one if you like.

Clean up / reorganize the rear speaker wiring that travels down the centre under the console.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Cigar lighter with lighted ring? Is yours working? Does it fit newer/deeper plug accessories? Replacements are easy to come by now, try the Vanagon one if you like.
    Are you saying that a "lighted ring" big socket is available? I just installed a regular socket, but it would be nice to get the light.

My VIN:    3610

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Automatic or manual trans?

If automatic, check and/or replace the little bulb that lights up the PRND21 area from underneath. If a manual, check that those two wires that would go to the PRND21 light bulb are still taped off and tucked away so not to short to anything. Or use them for some other powered contraption of your choosing.

Console clock works? Now's a good time to take it out and clean it up or replace it with a working one.

Check down around the shifter for debris or dead bugs or whatever. You should also have a rubber noise insulating cover piece. Check condition, replace if you choose. https://store.delorean.com/108903-ma...-isolator.html

As you mentioned with your antenna not working, see what else got inadvertently pulled out or disconnected while you're back there. You can add the rubber sleeves that snug over the two air vents in the middle as they aren't always the easiest things to get aligned and slipped back in place.

Clean up / reorganize the rear speaker wiring that travels down the centre under the console.
    It’s a manual, the antenna powers but the gears sound stripped.

Thanks for the feedback!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Are you saying that a "lighted ring" big socket is available? I just installed a regular socket, but it would be nice to get the light.
    Yes.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/12-v...hter-assembly-

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean3610 View Post
    .... the antenna powers but the gears sound stripped.
    That's a common failure mode on the 40 year old originals. The teeth on the nylon tail that runs the mast up and down bust off eventually. Then the mast stays parked wherever it was when the last teeth broke.

Your options are to find a replacement mast that has a good tail or replace the entire antenna unit. The toothed tail is part of the mast, not a separate part you can attach to a good mast, I think.

Most folks go with a new antenna when it goes south like yours did.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean3610 View Post
    It’s a manual, the antenna powers but the gears sound stripped.

Thanks for the feedback!
    On mine, the power wire was broke. When I fixed that, it made a clicking/stripping sound. It turned out that the antenna got shifted slightly and it was hitting the trim and stopping it. Once I got it aimed right, it worked fine.