FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Mixture Problems - Car won't start when mixture set properly

Looking at your pic, the two bottom fittings go in the hose ends. It looks like the two male ends you have touching are slightly differnt. Then one of your two banjo fittings should go in the female side of those adapters. And the other male should go in the WUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    My hoses have differnt threads also. I remember now that I really had to tighten one of the fittings to get it to stop leaking. Maybe it was slightly differnt threads. Maybe that's why I left it together. The whole thing is chinease junk. But I got it to work.

Ps, that wasn't the only problem I had. One of the "quick disconnects" sometimes would not let pressure through. I think the shrader would get stuck. I was all set to buy a new one when I got my car running good. The problem with them is they all look the same. Hard to verify where they are made. I was just going to buy a more expensive one and hope for the best.
    InkedFuel Pressure Test Kit Markup_LI.jpg

The blue items circled connect to each other and then you remove the fuel line from the WUR (the one leading to the center of the distributor) and you connect the fuel line to the brass adapter using the banjo bolt and crush washers.

The red items, you thread one of the brass fittings into the WUR (where you removed the fuel line) and then attach the other threaded side of the brass fitting to the hose. You must make sure that the valve on the pressure tester is on the WUR side or you won't be able to take the proper readings.

So, I pulled my warm up regulator out today and I can see that there's junk in one of the ports (the one with the screen). How do I go about cleaning that gunk out?

PXL_20210904_011930647.jpg

Also, I pulled all my injectors but I can't seem to get the bushings off of them. Anyone know how to get those bushings off the injectors?

PXL_20210904_012435861.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    So, I pulled my warm up regulator out today and I can see that there's junk in one of the ports (the one with the screen). How do I go about cleaning that gunk out?

Also, I pulled all my injectors but I can't seem to get the bushings off of them. Anyone know how to get those bushings off the injectors?

Use a sharp pick and pop each screen out, they are just pressed into the ports. There are a number of screens on there, so be careful.

Are you planning to reuse the seals? The seals can bind to the injectors, spray some WD40 on the seals and a little on the body of the injector below it , then you can use a pair of pliers to gently squeeze the seals and try and rotate the injector in it with an open end wrench.

Replace the seals, though, don't reuse them.

My VIN:    05257

I sent my injectors for testing, they were all bad. So I just brought new plus new seals. They are very tight fit and easily to be damaged ....

My screen (s) were worse than that. Did you do a spray test on the injections? They look kind of grungy, but it doesn't mean they are bad.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If carb cleaner won't clean the screen up, use a pick to remove them. A lot of people flush the line and leave them out since they are down stream from the filter. You can find fine mesh woven brass screen on eBay, just don't go too fine...

Just cut the injector seals off since they need to be soft and are only $3.13 ea.

Well, I sent my injectors off to be cleaned and got a replacement WUR from SpecialTAuto and installed everything today. After I reinstalled everything I got the car running by playing with the mixture, warmed the engine up and then dialed in the mixture so the dwell oscillation was around 20°-25° on the 8-cyl readings. It was pretty good and hot when I shut it down and the engine was idling great. I then let the car sit for most of the day to cool down so I could get a cold start in and see if it fixed my problem but the issue persists.

If I do the plug swap I can start the engine but it runs rough and it sounds like nothing is coming from the left bank of cylinders, when I unplug the cold-start injector I hear the left bank of cylinders start firing and after a few seconds of that, the engine dies. I just tried starting it over and over again in the garage just now, probably got it started 6 times using the plug swap and every time it was that same situation... without plug swap it just cranks and doesn't fire sometimes a small stumble.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Not sure, but it sounds like you're still setting the CO while it was cold. Did you check it (with the plug in place) while it was "good and hot"?,

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Not sure, but it sounds like you're still setting the CO while it was cold. Did you check it (with the plug in place) while it was "good and hot"?,
    Is CO the same as the mixture screw? Once I set the mixture screw to 20°-25° with the engine good and hot I left it. I'd like to get this thing running without having to mess with the mixture but thus far I'm unsuccessful.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast