FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Fuel Mixture Problems - Car won't start when mixture set properly

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    Is CO the same as the mixture screw? Once I set the mixture screw to 20°-25° with the engine good and hot I left it. I'd like to get this thing running without having to mess with the mixture but thus far I'm unsuccessful.
    Yes (CO is symbol for Carbon Monoxide ).
    Since it is swinging 20°-25°, hot, I would think it is close enough for now.
    Maybe try pulling the plug wires one at and record which ones that don't seem to make the engine sound different or change the RPM. (If it has performance cams, you might have to do this at a high in order to hear any difference.)

My VIN:    03572

I would check the control pressures with the new WUR. If that is good the only thing left is the fuel distributor.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I would check the control pressures with the new WUR. If that is good the only thing left is the fuel distributor.
    +1..it would be odd to be only on one bank, BUT a good excuse for a 6 pak of beer (bottles to compare the fuel delivery to each cylinder).

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I too suspected the WUR and ordered one but I read on Dgo's site that they recommended a new FD and injectors at the same time. Not sure why injectors as they are either working or they are not and easy to test but since I did new injectors the previous year anyway, I just got the WUR and FD.

Replaced the WUR first since it was easiest and that was my hunch. It didn't help. The FD corrected my issue. After replacement, I had to lean my mixture out almost a full turn!
    Ahem. Post #13 on this thread over a year ago.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Ahem. Post #13 on this thread over a year ago.
    Yes, don't think I haven't been thinking about that post as I work my way through the money like you did. I'm likely to end up there too. If I do buy the FD, I REALLY hope that solves it. This is F'n annoying.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Yes, don't think I haven't been thinking about that post as I work my way through the money like you did. I'm likely to end up there too. If I do buy the FD, I REALLY hope that solves it. This is F'n annoying.
    I admit it was a shot in the dark but I just thought to myself that the FD is the most complex(mechanical) part of the fuel system and the more complex, the more prone to failure. I had checked and diagnosed everything my limited knowledge allowed me to (and replaced the injectors/seals/WUR). I just threw a bunch of money at it and it worked.

I guess this was about 2 years ago and I have to admit the excitement and terror of walking to my car among a crowd of onlookers wondering if it will start is gone. It's been replaced by the boring monotony of having a car start no matter how long it sits and idles perfectly. Almost takes the adventure element out of owning a DeLorean.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

I guess this was about 2 years ago and I have to admit the excitement and terror of walking to my car among a crowd of onlookers wondering if it will start is gone. It's been replaced by the boring monotony of having a car start no matter how long it sits and idles perfectly. Almost takes the adventure element out of owning a DeLorean.
    LOL, I don't dare drive my car anywhere with it operating like this. I guess I could if I have my 3mm Allen wrench with me but I really don't like changing the mixture just to get the thing started and then tweaking it again to keep it running right. Anyway, I ordered a different fuel pressure testing kit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FJXA3M) this one has comments on it from DeLorean owners saying that it works for measuring both values. When it gets here I'll take some pressure measurements like Dave suggested and then, if nothing is awry, likely pull the FD and send it in for replacement.

LOL, I don't dare drive my car anywhere with it operating like this. I guess I could if I have my 3mm Allen wrench with me but I really don't like changing the mixture just to get the thing started and then tweaking it again to keep it running right. Anyway, I ordered a different fuel pressure testing kit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FJXA3M) this one has comments on it from DeLorean owners saying that it works for measuring both values. When it gets here I'll take some pressure measurements like Dave suggested and then, if nothing is awry, likely pull the FD and send it in for replacement.
    Just make sure when you hook it up, the hose side with the valve on it (coming off the "T") should connect to the WUR port. Otherwise you won't get the right results when you open/close the valve to test primary and control pressure.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6