FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Private Sale Car vs. DMC Dealer Car Sale.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Before the posts with no help outnumber the others:

Concourse V. Concours V. Word Choice V. Spelling V. Helping OP V. OT BS moved HERE.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Phew, well back on topic.

I just learned (and probably well known to many), that DMC offers a 6 month/6000 mile warranty on their cars. That's exceptionally generous for any used car (which of course, all
    DeLorean sales are) anywhere. I don't know about the other dealers.

On the private sale side, it seems like cars are starting to appear again now that we're into fall. This site will find you 90% of listings:

https://cultcars.us/cgi-bin/listings...=delorean&loc=

For the rest, you better be scouring Facebook and other auction sites, but my earlier advice on talking to local owners is important.

Pricewise, I think we've peaked for the year, with a Time Machine selling for 176K(!) and a rough manual selling for 44K, with some easing of prices - at least until next year.

My VIN:    03500

You can take it for what it is worth. When Stephen Wynne was at the DCS B. Bash he was saying that he thinks in 10 years we could be seeing Deloreans going for a 100k. I was thinking a big wow but we just have to wait and see.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    You can take it for what it is worth. When Stephen Wynne was at the DCS B. Bash he was saying that he thinks in 10 years we could be seeing Deloreans going for a 100k. I was thinking a big wow but we just have to wait and see.

Dave B.
    Yeah. Well, I already see people asking 80K for cars. Whether they will sell for that is another matter. *However* historically it's rare for marques to appreciate for long periods of time - history is simply against this idea. You'll always be better off in the
    stock market over a 10 year period. Of course, usually any speculation about the future by anyone will prove to be wildly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post

Dave B.
    This could be true, (and more) but probably only because dollar goes down in value.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I just learned (and probably well known to many), that DMC offers a 6 month/6000 mile warranty on their cars. That's exceptionally generous for any used car (which of course, all
    DeLorean sales are) anywhere. I don't know about the other dealers.
    I heard that as well but is that with ANY Parts/Service they do? Or only if they do a complete frame-off restoration. Ideally, I am hoping to hold out for a Dealer car (just spoke with Mike over at DMCMW yesterday). But if that perfect care comes along elsewhere, I would jump on it.

My VIN:    10309

As I'm sure you know, a dealer has a lot of overhead including profit that has to be worked into the price of their cars. Individuals will know a lot more about their
    specific car's and what they have personally done to it and information about the history of the car the dealer can't possibly know. As far as prices having to come down, I don't think we are even close to that point yet. If you watch the Jay Leno garage series he has a segment that has 3 cars and which one has increased the most in the last 5 years. It is incredible how some have shot up. As far as the stock market goes there is no comparison with a car but when the government is spending Trillions $ and raising capital gains to 42% I think the Delorean is maybe a better investment. Buy 2.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    As I'm sure you know, a dealer has a lot of overhead including profit that has to be worked into the price of their cars. Individuals will know a lot more about their
    specific car's and what they have personally done to it and information about the history of the car the dealer can't possibly know.
    Well, I'd debate that. Yes,it's often true that an owner will have very extensive knowledge of a car *especially* if they've done a restoration, but it's also common that they do not - e.g, owners who've
    lost interest and had their work done by someone else. I've seen plenty of examples either way.

As far as prices having to come down, I don't think we are even close to that point yet. If you watch the Jay Leno garage series he has a segment that has 3 cars and which one has increased the most in the last 5 years. It is incredible how some have shot up.
    I'm not entirely sure who or what you're referencing with this. What I did say is that I think prices have peaked for the year, and we might see some easing. This is quite different from "prices have to come down". I fully expect more increases next year.

As far as the stock market goes there is no comparison with a car but when the government is spending Trillions $ and raising capital gains to 42% I think the Delorean is maybe a better investment. Buy 2.
    History is not with you on this. DeLorean or any marque vs inflation is a poor bet (never mind, cost of ownership) - there's of course singular examples that stand out, but not as a whole. There's some analysis of this topic here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwYh-MEt5x8&t=1s

My VIN:    10309

You're obviously the only expert on this subject so I defer to your incredible knowledge.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

With all of the recent storms you must be cautious buying a car, it could have been flooded.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast