FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DMCH tour of "New Build" facilities

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    ....Of course it would have to have air bags and anti-lock brakes. I don't suppose that is too hard....

I didn't hear to much in the video about the new build. Do you know what kind of numbers of cars they are shooting for? Do you know what the target cost per car is? What engine are they thinking of?
    There is no need to add inproves safety devices for the new builds, the low production bill only states the engine has to be emissions compliant. No way at all a D could pass modern crash testing

They have been very secretive about the new engine and since the project has been delayed so long they announced their planned engine will be out of production soon so it doesn't make sense to continue with it.

They will probably only make a few hundred and likely cost over $100k each.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Hard? No. Extremely expensive? Yes.

You can’t just slap an airbag system in a car and call it good. It has to be crash tested extensively. No one is going to do that with the DeLorean. The Low Volume Vehicle Manufacturing act allows them to forego such safety devices, hence why they’ve decided to go that route.

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    When DMCL went under there were more right fenders in stock then left. A lot more. As a result, the stock of new left front fenders was depleted years ago. A new right fender can be had for $600. A used left fender usually exceeds $2,000.
    Wow, that is some good info to know when looking at buying a D. Also, if you hear of one burning up the back, buy the fenders. I wouldn't think used left fenders would come on the market often.

I ran in to a guy that drilled a water well for me a few years back. He was looking at the D and told me "you wouldn't believe me but my dad had a scrap yard years ago and we crushed a bunch of Delorean". Kind of made me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Wow, that is some good info to know when looking at buying a D. Also, if you hear of one burning up the back, buy the fenders. I wouldn't think used left fenders would come on the market often.

I ran in to a guy that drilled a water well for me a few years back. He was looking at the D and told me "you wouldn't believe me but my dad had a scrap yard years ago and we crushed a bunch of Delorean". Kind of made me sick.
    One of the DeLorean books (Barrie Wills “John Z., the DeLorean and me”) has a section in the back with stories written by people who were directly involved with the company in some form or another. One story involves Consolidated (who purchased all the remaining cars and parts) and Kapac (who agreed to sell the parts for Consolidated) and how they purposefully threw away more than 100 DeLorean fiberglass bodies.

Why? Because they didn’t have room to take everything, so they had to decide what to take and what to leave behind. They decided to take one of the master fiberglass molds and with that they felt it was unnecessary to take any more than a half-dozen fiberglass bodies. The remaining 100+ were chopped up and thrown away.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    They have been very secretive about the new engine and since the project has been delayed so long they announced their planned engine will be out of production soon so it doesn't make sense to continue with it.
    As far as I know, by quantity I have had a hand in retrofitting non stock engines in more deloreans than anyone, ever. Seems like it would be at least a nice point of research to contact me about this. But I have yet to hear anything. LOL.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    As far as I know, by quantity I have had a hand in retrofitting non stock engines in more deloreans than anyone, ever. Seems like it would be at least a nice point of research to contact me about this. But I have yet to hear anything. LOL.
    I dont think there's any question that you're top of the list. It does seem like you'd be the first phone call even just for initial thoughts. A central element of the LS swaps from the beginning has been not having to cut up the frame. Seems like that requirement would be rather high on DMCH's list as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2