FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Brake Reservoir Leak

Brake Reservoir Leak

Hey all

I’ve just replaced my master cylinder after the original developed a rear seal leak. All went well but I think I accidentally overfilled the reservoir because I’m seeing leakage around the bottom of the cylinder. I’m fairly sure it’s coming from the seals between the reservoir and cylinder. If I overfilled it and now I’ve removed the overfilled fluid should it be ok now or do i need to remove and clean up the seals?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Hey all

I’ve just replaced my master cylinder after the original developed a rear seal leak. All went well but I think I accidentally overfilled the reservoir because I’m seeing leakage around the bottom of the cylinder. I’m fairly sure it’s coming from the seals between the reservoir and cylinder. If I overfilled it and now I’ve removed the overfilled fluid should it be ok now or do i need to remove and clean up the seals?
    Spray the area with “brake parts cleaner” or “starting fluid” both will wash away the fluid quickly and flash dry very fast. If the brake fluid reappears, you have your answer that the reservoir needs to come off again to investigate why it’s leaking. Be sure to thoroughly dry any brake fluid that runs down the brake booster and drips on the frame. Brake fluid is a very effective paint and epoxy remover.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    05257

My seals were certainly leaking so I have replaced the reservoir and seals with the one from DeLorean Europe. I am yet to finish the car after the engine rebuilt so once I drive it I will report.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Make sure you put the reservoir on correctly. If you put it back on the wrong way it hits the booster and will leak. Make sure the reservoir is fully seated into the seals. If it still leaks you either need new seals or your reservoir is damaged and has to be replaced. If it is leaking because you over-filled it, remove some brake fluid.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks all

I did have it around the wrong way initially but I worked that out and still had leaks but it was over filled. I’ve removed the excess and used some brake cleaner to spray up and around the connections. Fingers crossed this does the trick!

Still no luck and having a slight seep from somewhere I assume is the reservoir seals. Very frustrating because this is a brand new master cylinder from DGo so the seals should be fine. The reservoir is the correct way around and is properly seated and has the right fluid level. Any other ideas?