FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is this part? Can’t find any identification

My VIN:    5591

What is this part? Can’t find any identification

Simple question: what part is this? I can’t find it identified in the parts book (interior section).

Second question: how do I affix it back to the car? The one on my driver’s side has come loose on the top half.

B01CF85F-AB38-4E82-A213-C1CB35A76C57.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I believe those are NLA or were replaced by the one piece bolster section.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Thanks for helping me ID it. How do I get that soft lower part reaffixed to the car? The entire top part is coming off and I see 2 screws pointing down on what look to be brackets on that soft trim piece. I can sorta knock it back into place but it doesn’t hold.
    Last edited by MacStainless; 09-06-2021 at 08:13 PM.

My VIN:    Midproduction

That piece is held on by screws. You could use some large flat washers to hold the piece against the larger panel if the panel has cracked. You'd need to remove the rear speaker panel as it is screwed in from the backside.

The panel isn't cracked, but I have no idea how the piece got dislodged. It must've been from the work I had done on it lately. Talk about a pain in the butt to get it reaffixed. I'm sure like everything else on our cars, that panel is a process to remove. It's tempting to get out some Command Strips and just use that to stick it back in place. 🤔

Happy to hear any suggestions.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    The panel isn't cracked, but I have no idea how the piece got dislodged. It must've been from the work I had done on it lately. Talk about a pain in the butt to get it reaffixed. I'm sure like everything else on our cars, that panel is a process to remove. It's tempting to get out some Command Strips and just use that to stick it back in place. 🤔

Mine was originally rivets, which doesn't seem to be an ideal choice for plastic. Anyway, I put in screws, as per the picture, and the largest washers I could fit.

I did a similar repair on the two metal brackets on the forward of the console and also on a door vent bracket.

PXL_20210809_182106011.jpg

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post

There not that big of a deal to remove.
    1. Take out the back bulkhead board.
    2. Remove all the screws.
    3. The top support for seatbelt.
    4. Remove that section of inner door seal.
    5. Use heat gun to loosen the vinyl that holds that section to the car. When reapplying the vinyl reheat and hold in place with clothespins or small clamps and let cool.

I just can't remember it there's a fir tree on this or not but take your time and you'll be fine.
    I've had both of mine out.

Dave B.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

+1

It takes about 20 minutes to pull each of those panels out. No special tools needed. No fir tree as I recall. This is a good time to look at the rear speaker cones you will see behind the panel. If original they are likely cracked/torn.

Be sure NOT to cut the vinyl where it is glued to the door jamb flange. As mentioned, you need to keep that vinyl flap intact for re-attachment otherwise there will be an ugly gap along the back of the door opening.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    There not that big of a deal to remove.
    1. Take out the back bulkhead board.
    2. Remove all the screws.
    3. The top support for seatbelt.
    4. Remove that section of inner door seal.
    5. Use heat gun to loosen the vinyl that holds that section to the car. When reapplying the vinyl reheat and hold in place with clothespins or small clamps and let cool.

I just can't remember it there's a fir tree on this or not but take your time and you'll be fine.
    I've had both of mine out.

Dave B.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks for the info / suggestions / walkthrough. I don't own a heat gun or anything + anything to do with the vinyl always gives me pause. It's all in great shape and I don't want to start any tearing. I'm going to add this to my todo list and figure out if it's worth the effort. I still think I can shove a Command Strip into the mounting ledge and hold it closed for 30-seconds to get a seal. Would remain hidden too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast