FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is this part? Can’t find any identification

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    Thanks for the info / suggestions / walkthrough. I don't own a heat gun or anything + anything to do with the vinyl always gives me pause. It's all in great shape and I don't want to start any tearing. I'm going to add this to my todo list and figure out if it's worth the effort. I still think I can shove a Command Strip into the mounting ledge and hold it closed for 30-seconds to get a seal. Would remain hidden too.
    Personally, and having done it twice on different cars, it's a real PITA. The vinyl isn't always in great shape, and my panels were held down on one car with additional screws and sealant. Still, you should get a heat gun though - endless uses outside of this.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Still, you should get a heat gun though - endless uses outside of this.
    We did ours with a $20 hair dryer with no problem.

It lowers the risk of cooking the vinyl by mistake, too.

You can gauge the degree of difficulty by pulling the inner door seal off just to have a look at the vinyl-to-flange joint you'd be dealing with.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5591

Me, not being a car guy at all, would not feel comfortable doing all that on my own. It's more of an annoyance than anything, so I can let it sit until I can either get some in-person help or I can have a mechanic look at it at some point. Last thing I want to do is make things worse by trying to fix it improperly.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    Me, not being a car guy at all, would not feel comfortable doing all that on my own. It's more of an annoyance than anything, so I can let it sit until I can either get some in-person help or I can have a mechanic look at it at some point. Last thing I want to do is make things worse by trying to fix it improperly.
    I think your Command Strip idea will do short term, just until you can get it to such a person. But the job is not that hard for anyone who's worked on the car that you might be able to find at your local club, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2