FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any recommended AC Compressor replacements?

Any recommended AC Compressor replacements?

Are there any replacement compressors you all would recommend? Or is the original good enough? I'm looking for the best AC compressor I can put in that car.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

-----Dan B.

My VIN:    03500

There are slightly better compressors but is it worth it.
    If you're A/C is blowing cold I would leave it alone! Putting the best compressor in also needs all the other components replaced as well. I've been thinking about this myself is to put the fancy insulation in and IR film the windows. This helps with any car.
    If you expect ice cubes you have to insulate!

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 09-07-2021 at 02:04 PM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Are there any replacement compressors you all would recommend? Or is the original good enough? I'm looking for the best AC compressor I can put in that car.
    It kinda depends, I highly recommend the Sanden SD7H15 series or UAC variant (mine). There are some considerations to think about. Are you replacing the 40 year old R12 hoses with new R-134 barrier hose? If so I highly recommend the DPI hose kit. No lifting the body to install them.

This UAC assembly closely matches the port configuration if using OE hoses.

https://coldhose.com/products/new-sa...-v-belt-clutch.

My installation is different because I chose to replace the hoses. I installed a QD head on my compressor which turns the ports vertical while maintaining the compressor oil fill port on Top. It also moves the Elbow fittings (Service ports) away from the left pontoon. Better access.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

A few months ago, I purchased a Sanden 4708 compressor from Auto Air Online for around $240. It fits perfectly and looks very similar, if not identical, to the original, but much more shiny, of course.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Since we're on the topic, my car is missing a condenser. Same question!

It is my understanding that the Sanden SD7H15 series uses more pistons than the stock compressor, and in general works much better.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    It is my understanding that the Sanden SD7H15 series uses more pistons than the stock compressor, and in general works much better.
    Yes, 7 cylinder instead of 5. It operates smoother and quieter. You almost don’t notice when it cycles on and off, unlike the original SD508.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Since we're on the topic, my car is missing a condenser. Same question!
    There are no generic aftermarket condensers that I’m aware of other than from DMC vendors. Stick with NOS or new remanufactured from a D Vendor.
    DENNIS

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    There are no generic aftermarket condensers that I’m aware of other than from DMC vendors.
    CNFP1226 is not quite as wide as stock but works otherwise. You just need to DIY the mounting studs which is easy enough with long bolts & nuts. I've been running one since 2016 and works great for the price. IIRC at that time all of the vendors were either OOS or there weren't any custom sized parallel-flow condensers available.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast