FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sound dyinosis

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    So I guess your going to be one of these people that harasses others.
    Nah man. Just an observation.

It might be useless to you, but I would like to know if it's an issue to worry about. Video of what? It's a sound. Could I record the sound? Maybe, but I seriously doubt it would be heard over background noise.

These cars have been around for long enough that everything has happened before. I was hoping that someone allready has heard it and might say "that's the frequency valve, I know it's hard to believe you can hear it inside the car". Or maybe they will say "it's just relays clicking".
    Yes, video a sound. If you can provide a video (obviously with audio) of the sound occurring, maybe it will pick up on the microphone? Maybe someone WILL say "oh its this or that". Going off a half-assed description that makes no sense is not enough to point to anything specific.

Michael, I will say that your posts are often funny. I don't mind that, but some are useless like this one. Pot calling the kettle black?
    At least Michael has contributed to the community.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

On my trip, I consider AC very important in the dead of summer. Especially in a car that doesn't really have windows.
    So you were basing your trip on the response of strangers telling you if you could hack it without A/C or not? And you were going to take that advice?

How come you claim you were willing to listen to that advice?

Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    Nah man. Just an observation.

Yes, video a sound. If you can provide a video (obviously with audio) of the sound occurring, maybe it will pick up on the microphone? Maybe someone WILL say "oh its this or that". Going off a half-assed description that makes no sense is not enough to point to anything specific.

At least Michael has contributed to the community.
    A negative observation. Have you never heard the saying "if you don't have something good to say, don't say it". I'll say this again, I don't really care if you want to harass me, I'm an adult and I have thick skin. But how about doing it via PM. When you harass anyone publicly, there are other people lurking that will not ask a question for fear of being ridiculed. That is not good for the forum/community.

As far as the sound, I don't think I can pick it up over background and besides, I'm not a computer wizard. The only video I've ever posted was many years ago. I used Utube. I won't use them again because they are part of a conspiracy to distroy our country. But, I will try to get a recording with my iPad and see if I can put it on here like a pic.

Indeed, Michael has contributed, not only to the community, but he has helped me in perticular. He does have a pointed sense of humor that sometimes doesn't come across well. I except that. Maybe I don't come across well. I can except that also, but you will never find me harassing someone "out of the gate". I might give a stinging reply, but I'm not first.

I take offense to the insinuation that I haven't contributed to this community. I have written several "how to's" been thanked many times. I've also had people tell me in a PM that I shouldn't get disgusted with this forum because of a few bad apples. That tells me there are people afraid to post for fear of "the mob". Do you want this forum to be a dozen people? Do you want this forum to close and move to Fascist Book?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    So you were basing your trip on the response of strangers telling you if you could hack it without A/C or not? And you were going to take that advice?

How come you claim you were willing to listen to that advice?

Ok.
    Actually, that was not the question. I knew I was not going without AC. I believe I was asking about running the AC without a low pressure switch. (Bypassed) I believe someone suggested I gut the shrader and install an elbow shrader. I took that advice and it worked. In fact, it is still working.

As I recall, I was also questioning driving long distance with a broken manifold stud. (Not leaking yet) I think the consensus was go for it. I would have, except I was able to remove that one stud and replace it without removing the manifold because it was in an easy location.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I think Helirich is a good guy. He seems fairly competent in the wrench turning department, wants to be a positive part of the community, and tries(keyword tries) to be helpful and from what I can tell, has been nothing but respectful to everyone here even when we are less than. I have a neighbor that he reminds me of, very outspoken, loud, abrasive, thinks he is always right and freaking thinks he knows everything about everything...he was one step away from being homeless till he hooked up with the widow that lives near me. Thing is he is a really nice guy, and very personable most times...and I think he is a very honorable man. I'm not his biggest fan though.

Personalities don't always sync up, especially on the internets when inflection and tone are missing from posts. I know people take me too seriously. To paraphrase Eugene levy, "You think you hate me now, but wait till you meet me."

I try to overlook such things because I just bet if we were all in the same room together, we would be all friendly and cutting up with each other.

As far as the problem, I think Ron was close. It's a loose nut in the car...probably operator problems though.

Seriously though, make sure the sound is not coming through your speakers. Sometimes alternators can give feedback through the stereo.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-13-2021 at 12:05 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    03572

Electronics that use a switching circuit can cause an audio noise if driving a magnetic load (transformer, etc). The Lambda drives the FV and the idle ECU drives the idle motor which we know make noise. My fuel gauge ECU can make a little noise but you won't hear it with the engine running.

If you have an amplifier for your audio system it could use a switching power supply. High power LED headlights are another system using switching regulators.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Personalities don't always sync up, especially on the internets when inflection and tone are missing from posts. ...I just bet if we were all in the same room together, we would be all friendly and cutting up with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I try to overlook such things because I just bet if we were all in the same room together, we would be all friendly and cutting up with each other.

Seriously though, make sure the sound is not coming through your speakers. Sometimes alternators can give feedback through the stereo.
    On the first note, I hope it's true because we need each other. There are political types that would be just as happy to make a law that only cars newer than 20 years be aloud on the road. Of course, the vast majority of people don't drive old cars and would stand idly by while they take our freedom.

On the second point, would the speakers make noise when the stereo is off? I've had a strobe light on a aircraft make noise in my headsets, but only when the avionics was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Electronics that use a switching circuit can cause an audio noise if driving a magnetic load (transformer, etc). The Lambda drives the FV and the idle ECU drives the idle motor which we know make noise. My fuel gauge ECU can make a little noise but you won't hear it with the engine running.

If you have an amplifier for your audio system it could use a switching power supply. High power LED headlights are another system using switching regulators.
    I will show my ignorance here. Where is the idle motor? I just went through the DMC parts pages and can't find any reference to it. When you say it makes noise, where and what kind? I know I read that your idle controller shuts down the idle motor at high rpms. I wonder if that's my fix. Actually, is there anything wrong with an idle motor that is making noise?

My stereo is stock, but I suppose there is an amplifier inside the Craig. Again, it was off.

My VIN:    03572

Idle motor is an electrical valve that is driven by the idle ECU which opens and closes to maintain a fixed idle RPM. It's mounted on the drivers side valve cover and has a 3 pin electrical connector on top. It will always produce a buzzing sound when the ignition key is on with the stock idle ECU. That is a 100 Hz frequency.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Idle motor is an electrical valve that is driven by the idle ECU which opens and closes to maintain a fixed idle RPM. It's mounted on the drivers side valve cover and has a 3 pin electrical connector on top. It will always produce a buzzing sound when the ignition key is on with the stock idle ECU. That is a 100 Hz frequency.
    Ok, that seems to be an unlikely source for this sound. It sounds like a slow beat. Maybe every second or two. It got slower when I shifted from fourth to fifth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast