FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car has quit running ....

My VIN:    15275

Car has quit running ....

I just had my car at a cruise this morn .. drove and started perfectly fine.. went to start it a bit ago and move it to clean the wheels for a show tommorow.. and it wont start.. the pump is not running even with jumping it.. and there is only 4 volts at the harness.... .and suggestions?? i just put a new rpm relay in it last week ..

Put the original RPM relay back in and see what happens.
    Ron

will do

but it is not even running the pump by jumping the connectors and it should

My VIN:    3937

Check your ballast resistor connections.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4365

Some of the obvious things to check: how is the ground connection, and check the inertia switch.

What voltage do you get when you probe the harness pins with a DMM to a good ground? This will give you a start on which side of the harness to start your search (ground vs +12v).

fixed it!!

the problem was the ground for the inertia switch had vibrated loose .. i regrounded it to the frame front extension where the horns bolt.. might move it elsewhere this winter....but fixed for now...lol.. and actually got to go to a show i had registered for today!!

Good work! Glad you made the show.
    Ron

My VIN:    11596

Dave or anyone else - where exactly does the RPM relay ground to, originally? Does it go to the front frame extension under the D/S radiator support?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Dave or anyone else - where exactly does the RPM relay ground to, originally? Does it go to the front frame extension under the D/S radiator support?
    I've just been through this. There is a main ground near the fuse/relay compartment. You have to remove the back board to get at it. I'm talking about the vertical board. (Not the compartment cover) There are a main ground (and power) post back there. They go through the firewall. The ground one goes front to back. The power goes left to right. They come out in the engine compartment under the coil cover.

I ran a new heavy guage wire from the post out into the fuse area. That way, if I ever need a good ground for testing or whatever, I don't have to pull that board.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    From memory, the RPM relay and a few other relays in the back row share a ground wire running back to that ground post. So not many have found that daisy change to act up. I did have one customer have problems with my RPM relay and he installed a separate ground wire which cured his that problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast