FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: First Time Buyer Advice

First Time Buyer Advice

Hello all! Excited to become a part of this community.

I’m on the hunt and plan to scoop a DeLorean in the near future. Looking for any advice/tips you all may have. I have 2 small kids that take up a lot of my time, so even though I’m handy and mechanically inclined, I don’t have the time to be wrenching on this car hours per day. So I want something realistically reliable that I can tool with on weekends.

Question - I see some private sales for under $30k that appear clean and maintained with relatively low miles. However buying from a DMC dealer is more in the $50k-$60k range - plus tax. Any reason to shy away from a private sale if it’s clean and mechanically sound?

Tips? Warnings?

I want to spend the necessary amount to get a car I can enjoy right away. What is a realistic budget for a car of this quality? These sub $30k cars scare me, regardless of the description

Any and all input appreciated. Thanks.

My VIN:    03500

If you don't have the time to work on the car I would go dealer. IMO cars under 30K are going to need a lot of work I don't care what the seller says! 6 years ago I bought a nice running D in the low 30k range and I'm still doing some heavy wrenching on my car some needed and some to make a 40 year old car a little better and not worry about things going wrong.

For better or worse it's a Delorean and a 40 year or about car so it probably will need something unless you pay the premium for a total restoration.

This is just from my short experience with a D.
    Dave B.

My VIN:    #4595

Really depends on the private seller on whether you're getting a good car for that price but given the current prices, I would expect a sub $30k car to need a little work. Probably driveable on the weekends though in most cases. Unfortunately, there is so much variety that it is hard to give a recommendation across the board.

If you haven't bought this book yet, I would highly recommend:
    https://store.delorean.com/p100098-t...iles-book.html

Outside of that, of you can find a current or former owner near you, they may be willing to go with you to inspect the car (or they may already be familiar with it..). Lots of help here in the community.

One additional piece of advice someone gave me when I was looking... Don't buy the first one you see. You may be giddy to see one up close but oftentimes there are better cars out there if you keep looking. I'm very happy I didn't buy the first private seller I looked at as I got a much nicer one for just a small amount more than the first car. No reason to rush.

Good luck!!

Wow, I never see any 30K cars anymore. In any case, I doubt they are what you want. I see no reason to shy away from private sales, but I would shy away from cars that are not driven. If the car hasn't been driven at least a few thousand miles in the last few years, you will be working on it. I would rather find a well cared for car with 100,000 miles on it than a 20,000 mile "cream puff". (Unless it's going in a museum)

As far as things to look for,

Braided fuel lines
    Metal ends on the radiator

Check under the wood panel behind the pax seat to see if the fuse box is melted. It can be half melted and still drive fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bueller View Post
    Really depends on the private seller on whether you're getting a good car for that price but given the current prices, I would expect a sub $30k car to need a little work. Probably driveable on the weekends though in most cases. Unfortunately, there is so much variety that it is hard to give a recommendation across the board.

If you haven't bought this book yet, I would highly recommend:
    https://store.delorean.com/p100098-t...iles-book.html

Outside of that, of you can find a current or former owner near you, they may be willing to go with you to inspect the car (or they may already be familiar with it..). Lots of help here in the community.

One additional piece of advice someone gave me when I was looking... Don't buy the first one you see. You may be giddy to see one up close but oftentimes there are better cars out there if you keep looking. I'm very happy I didn't buy the first private seller I looked at as I got a much nicer one for just a small amount more than the first car. No reason to rush.

Good luck!!
    Thank you for your input! Great advice. Just ordered that book today in fact!

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    Hello all! Excited to become a part of this community.

I’m on the hunt and plan to scoop a DeLorean in the near future. Looking for any advice/tips you all may have. I have 2 small kids that take up a lot of my time, so even though I’m handy and mechanically inclined, I don’t have the time to be wrenching on this car hours per day. So I want something realistically reliable that I can tool with on weekends.

Question - I see some private sales for under $30k that appear clean and maintained with relatively low miles. However buying from a DMC dealer is more in the $50k-$60k range - plus tax. Any reason to shy away from a private sale if it’s clean and mechanically sound?
    Yes, because it's probably a scam listing. Myself and several others closely track prices and listings. It's impossible to track every listed car or private sale of course, and if
    you hunt long enough and make enough contacts, it's possible to get a deal (yes, I see the reddit post) but it's been a very long time since you could get a sorted car for $30K.

Cars in the $35-$40K range do occasionally pop up, but these cars tend to be traps, with the new owners popping up in forums weeks or months later with significant issues
    needing thousands more spent. As an aside a car yesterday that had a clear litany of issues and I thought might fall in this range was subject to a bidding war and
    ended up going for $46K - that car will need thousands more to get right.

There are still people that insist cars are available "for 30K" or they bought such a car. When pressed, it turns out that was quite some time ago, or they actually
    meant $39K (real example) or the car had issues they haven't told you about.

$45K is probably where you need to start your search. There aren't a lot of private sales right now, but these things tend to change over time. Your best deal
    is sometimes to hook up with your local club - sometimes you hear about cars that people no longer want and have well known histories.

The cheapest car I know of anywhere and actually looks pretty good is this one:

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...mc-c-13404.htm

It's "cheap" because painted cars tend to sell at a discount. And because BHCC tend to be scant on details, I'd want to get someone to inspect it.

Above all, be patient. Finding the right car can take months.