FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Restoring a vintage shop sign.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Restoring a vintage shop sign.

A buddy gave me an old dealership sign a few weeks ago and today I finally got enough gumption to fix her up DMC style! Great thing is I had everything and didn't spend a penny! The graphic decal was a mistake the print shop gave me from my dealership sign. I knew someday I would/could use it on something and I am glad I didn't throw it away. The clock was broke but it was just one of those generic movements every wall clock has so I used one I had all but thrown in the garbage and replaced those mangled hands(maybe I will paint the second hand red sometime). The lights were just leftover landscape LED neon rope I had.

So when I got this I decided not to go "full goat". I had visions of making the red/white/green Irish colors and some awesome intricate logo design but since I had the old decal, I decided to keep it simple stupid. I replaced the electrics with led neon lights. Since they were warm white and the plastic was yellow and aged so I just decided to go 100% retro with this project. I think it has that vintage flavor I love so much (even if it's not).

20211010_181122.jpg
    20211012_182747.jpg
    20211012_182720.jpg
    20211012_182706.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 10-12-2021 at 07:57 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

The DMC part looks great! I can't say I like the black diamond in the center of the clock. (I realize you didn't do that part) But I would have to change it. Nice project. I wish I had time to do things like that.

I mounted the new clock like the old clock but tomorrow I will turn it 45 degrees so the diamond hides the shadow(I think that's why the diamond was pronted on the face in the first place..to hide the shadow caused by the clock movement). It probably came disassembled and some parts guy put it together wrong.

Still no matter what it looks like by today's standards, I like it simply because it doesn't look new. It looks like it's been hanging in a DeLorean service center for the past 40 years and I love that.
    Last edited by Michael; 10-12-2021 at 09:38 PM.

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

That looks really sweet! Nice job.

Thanks! I repositioned the clock so it matches the printed diamond with no shadow left. While I had the hands off I painted them. It occurred to me there is no way anyone would believe a DeLorean engineer would design a clock with hands that you couldn't see well. It goes against the entire DMC philosophy.

20211014_184316.jpg

I think it looks amazing, and would love to have something similar to that in my garage.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks! I repositioned the clock so it matches the printed diamond with no shadow left. While I had the hands off I painted them. It occurred to me there is no way anyone would believe a DeLorean engineer would design a clock with hands that you couldn't see well. It goes against the entire DMC philosophy.

20211014_184316.jpg
    Much better with the shadow effect removed and painted hands. Nice job. Very Cool.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles