FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Original Goodyear Tires - Keep or Toss?

Original Goodyear Tires - Keep or Toss?

Hey guys. Recently bought a 1981 DeLorean with 11k miles that still has the original tires. Since Ill be replacing, any reason to hang on to them? I can't imagine they have any value at this point.

Thanks

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    Hey guys. Recently bought a 1981 DeLorean with 11k miles that still has the original tires. Since Ill be replacing, any reason to hang on to them? I can't imagine they have any value at this point.

Thanks
    Probably no dollar value; nostalgia only as original or for Concours fantasies. Still, someone might want them; hold onto them for a bit.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The only reason anyone would want to them is for concours competition. If they have no signs of dry rotting or damage, they may even be worth selling. Seems like I have seen a few sets get sold here before. I would imagine the people that would want them are far and few between, but for the people that want them, the sellers are far and few between as well.

I would clean them up, ascertain the condition, and if acceptable, put them for sale here. 200 bucks seems reasonable and anyone with a concours DeLorean should have no issue with 200 for a low mileage set of NCT's.

Of course they may just split apart when they break them down!
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    11596

While we are on the topic of original but often-replaced parts for safety - and my apologies to Toph - but is there any value to original fuel lines? I replaced every fuel line on my car but haven't thrown the old ones away yet. They weren't leaking but they were the original style.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    16109

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    While we are on the topic of original but often-replaced parts for safety - and my apologies to Toph - but is there any value to original fuel lines? I replaced every fuel line on my car but haven't thrown the old ones away yet. They weren't leaking but they were the original style.
    I kept my original fuel lines too, but I doubt there is any value to them. They can still be found aplenty on many a car. However the NCT Tires are scarce as they were replaced to a greater degree versus the fuel lines, and as others here said they are more sought after because of what they represent.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

The banjo fittings can be remade into new hoses by a hose shop if someone was so inclined, but you may as well just buy them from the vendors.

My VIN:    6125

+1 on saving the old fuel lines for the banjo fittings. I think they're more commonly available now, but back when I updated my fuel system I had to send in my old lines as cores.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    +1 on saving the old fuel lines for the banjo fittings. I think they're more commonly available now, but back when I updated my fuel system I had to send in my old lines as cores.
    Is that really a thing, though? All the vendors sell modern fuel line kits that are proven, fairly priced, and are a lot nicer than the OEM ones which are so thick they make dealing with the spark plug/injector area a pain. I guess I'll throw them in a box and keep them for a couple years like a hoarder and eventually toss 'em maybe on my car's 50th birthday lol
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    6125

Is that really a thing, though? All the vendors sell modern fuel line kits that are proven, fairly priced, and are a lot nicer than the OEM ones which are so thick they make dealing with the spark plug/injector area a pain. I guess I'll throw them in a box and keep them for a couple years like a hoarder and eventually toss 'em maybe on my car's 50th birthday lol
    It's probably not necessary at this point given the number of new replacements available. I tend to hang onto things just in case so that's where I was coming from. At the time I was surprised that my old fittings were needed to remanufacture them into new fuel lines, but this was like 10 years ago now so things have changed quite a bit.

The lines I have on my car are PTFE inner with stainless braid outer and also have a black heat shrink tube on the outside to make them look closer to factory appearance. They were made by whatever company John Hervey was using circa 2010 to rebuild his fuel system parts. In another few years they'll probably be due for replacement again.

But to not get too far off topic... for the tires I'd definitely save them in my basement along with the original rubber from the spare. And I'd definitely tell my wife that they are totally worth something and the space they are taking up is justified, even though probably not. Totally speaking hypothetically here of course.
    Last edited by Mark D; 10-28-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I kept the fittings of my oe lines. In 30 years, I will sell my car. In 32 years I will clean out my garage and find the small box of fittings and old banjo bolts. The sight will rekindle fond feelings of my ownership tenure and how happy the DeLorean experience made me and how many lifelong friends I have made from it.

I will then toss the box into the garbage and take another drink of outlawed beer.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast