FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: I wanna buy another D....

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

I wanna buy another D....

After 12 years of ownership I sold my DeLorean towards winter of 2018 moving into 2019. I've missed the car and I want to buy another one. I have not been involved in anything delorean related for about 3 years now... Haven't even been cruising on this talk forum. I feel like I'm out of the loop on some things. My question is... Is there anything I have missed out on in the past 3 years? Any new parts that everyone is purchasing, any news out of Houston?
    I'm about to make a purchase from David McKeen... His updates were always among my favorites for the car.
    I know prices have spiked recently because of covid... It was quite a shock to see cars going for $50,000 on up. I believe mine was pretty much turnkey and in excellent shape with many upgrades... I think I got $36,000 out of it.

My VIN:    1710

I'm going through the same process... researching what parts to buy from where since I've been out of the community for a while. Like you, Dave McKeen's relays will be my first purchases. DPI for the fuel components... their pump and braided lines kits seem superior to anything else. Same with their radiator/fans kit, water pump, & silicone hoses. The DMC affiliates appear to have inconel trailing arm bolts again. Those are the main safety items... everything else will be done a little at a time.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Welcome back and happy hunting to you.

What have you missed?
    For one thing matching front and rear tires in OE factory sizes are back in production as of just a year ago. From the world's 6th largest tire mfgr.

Link to a thread about them:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?18546

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    ......I have not been involved in anything delorean related for about 3 years now... Haven't even been cruising on this talk forum. I feel like I'm out of the loop on some things. My question is... Is there anything I have missed out on in the past 3 years? Any new parts that everyone is purchasing, any news out of Houston?
    I'm about to make a purchase from David McKeen... His updates were always among my favorites for the car...
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I'm going through the same process... researching what parts to buy from where since I've been out of the community for a while. Like you, Dave McKeen's relays will be my first purchases. DPI for the fuel components... their pump and braided lines kits seem superior to anything else. Same with their radiator/fans kit, water pump, & silicone hoses. The DMC affiliates appear to have inconel trailing arm bolts again. Those are the main safety items... everything else will be done a little at a time.
    I've never used DPI for anything. I suppose it's time to give them a look.

I remember the Toby Tab crisis a few years back. When the Museum overpaid for a set of Tabs, it caused a frenzy to say the least. I was planning on selling the car at the time, knowing I might need another set down the road for a future car purchase. I think I shelled out about $600 at the time buying a set of Toby Tabs from another guy on the forum...thinking I better grab a set before they go even higher. Fast forward a year, the inconel bolts were standard issue around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Welcome back and happy hunting to you.

What have you missed?
    For one thing matching front and rear tires in OE factory sizes are back in production as of just a year ago. From the world's 6th largest tire mfgr.

Link to a thread about them:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?18546
    I for one like the raised white letter look....UGH, why are these only on the rears?

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    After 12 years of ownership I sold my DeLorean towards winter of 2018 moving into 2019. I've missed the car and I want to buy another one. I have not been involved in anything delorean related for about 3 years now... Haven't even been cruising on this talk forum. I feel like I'm out of the loop on some things. My question is... Is there anything I have missed out on in the past 3 years? Any new parts that everyone is purchasing, any news out of Houston?
    I'm about to make a purchase from David McKeen... His updates were always among my favorites for the car.
    I know prices have spiked recently because of covid... It was quite a shock to see cars going for $50,000 on up. I believe mine was pretty much turnkey and in excellent shape with many upgrades... I think I got $36,000 out of it.
    Lots of small, incremental things - improvements for reproduction parts with 3D printing, etc. I'd take a look at the latest product section on DeLoreanGo's website to get a feel for things.

And yes, you're going to have to pay somewhat north of $50K for a sorted car. Come down from that at your peril.

My VIN:    6125

Welcome back! Increasing prices are probably the biggest thing that has changed in the past few years. The usual parts sources are still out there. A few more remanufactured/replacement parts exist now for previously hard to find items.

I'm in Stevens Point, so not too far from you (if I'm remembering correctly.) If you ever need a hand or a random spare part, or just want to talk DeLoreans I'm around. There are a couple of other owners in the area too that aren't on the forums much... we have been talking about trying to meet up sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Welcome back! Increasing prices are probably the biggest thing that has changed in the past few years. The usual parts sources are still out there. A few more remanufactured/replacement parts exist now for previously hard to find items.

I'm in Stevens Point, so not too far from you (if I'm remembering correctly.) If you ever need a hand or a random spare part, or just want to talk DeLoreans I'm around. There are a couple of other owners in the area too that aren't on the forums much... we have been talking about trying to meet up sometime.
    Yup. Mosinee. Let me know, I will make time.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

some things have changes since early 2019...

John Hervey and Don Steger both passed away.

Deloreans have seen a surge in popularity and like most classic cars of the 80s- a surge in asking and sale prices.

Cars 10 years ago that were 25-35k are today 45 to 55k.
    Cars that were non runners but good were 10k then and 20k+ now.

but, lots of buyers means lots of cars selling too. just look at Bring-A-trailer.

good luck with your search

My VIN:    11596

I can kind of relate to this thread. I have been an owner since 2000 and was very active until about 2010 or so. Then, life got in the way, new job, moved from my home city, stopped showing the car at shows, got married, and it was sitting the garage far more than it should be. I really only got interested again a couple years ago when it came time for me to decide if I should piss or get off the pot with this car. Either sell it and move on, or become a born-again DeLorean owner. I have chosen the latter. Now my car is on four jack stands for the better part of three months getting a major overhaul and I even bought a spare frame in case I decide to do a frame-endectomy.

What did I miss in the last few years?

• Facebook groups have become far more active, unfortunately to the detriment of this fine establishment (yet the archives here remain a far superior repository of information)
    • DeLorean values are about double what I thought they were around 2010
    • Dave and Julee Swingle sold DMCMW and moved to SC but thankfully Mike, Suzy, Steph, and Kevin (and I'm sure others I'm not aware of) are providing the same amazing service as if nothing happened at all
    • As previously mentioned, John Hervey and Don Steger have passed, may they rest in peace
    • Seems like DeLoreans are in pop culture more than ever before - all over YouTube docs, Tamir's feature, in music videos, famous engine swaps, electric DeLoreans drifting by themselves, etc. It's not just BTTF and The Wedding Singer anymore.
    • So many upgraded and improved parts now - mind-boggling options for many parts such as suspension, exhaust, bushings, big brakes, stainless frames, etc both in the USA and Europe. It seems like it's never been easier to own a DeLorean today aside from the cost of entry constantly going up. Good for long-time owners, not so good for new entrants.
    • DPI's billet aluminum LCA's are like fine jewelry
    • Bill Robertson is still banned

Good luck in your search! The energy level and rising prices got me interested again and it's been fun catching up.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City