FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: A hole in the engine block

My VIN:    7075

A hole in the engine block

My friend bought a project Delorean, VIN 1286. Beautiful car, pristine frame, perfect stainless. Only problem is that it was on the California sun for about 10 years, so the interior is far from perfect.
    But, and there is always a but, he had found a very serious problem, there is a hole in the VOD. Many creatures were living there and surely some coolant was leaked there too, but none of us saw this coming.
    I attach a few pictures. What are your opinion, is it fixable somehow or he needs a new engine?

WP_20211027_16_02_08_Pro.jpgWP_20211027_17_53_58_Pro.jpgWP_20211027_17_54_12_Pro.jpg

My VIN:    16795

I'm not sure if this will work for your particular hole, but when I found a hole in the side of my block I did...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?80...l=1#post119735

I have now driven over 60K miles with that fix, and so far so good.

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

I've fixed a lot worse with epoxy on tractors and the like. For this I'd personally employ a tig welder but that's just because it's aluminum and those are things I'm familiar with. I think you'll be fine either way so long as you pay attention to how much epoxy is filling the gap.

This guy learned some lessons that are worth sharing for your friend's particular situation:

http://www.babbtechnology.com/Tech/E...lock/index.htm

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Having gone through something similar, I'd be on the lookout for a good replacement engine. Probably save time and money in the long run

My VIN:    7075

Thanks for your answers!
    I am sure, that if it is possible to fix, we will try to do it. In the meantime we contacted Ed, from the Netherlands and he said almost the same as Dickey, that this can be fixed with epoxy.
    So we just have to find somebody, who is more skilled than us.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

The fate of the PRV unfortunately. If you repair one hole, another with spring a leak. if you go to the effort of tig welding plates over the valley pockets, do them all.

I found the 3.0 blocks to be made of better quality aluminum. But a leaky water pump can do alot of damage to the valley over the years.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.