FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which Stage I exhaust is "better" for lack of a better word?

My VIN:    16409

The term "UK" exhaust is confusing because it refers to at least two options. The original UK Exhuast can be found here:

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/

delorean-with-cats.jpg

DeLorean Go sells their own version that is based on the one i linked to above. The Go version is advertised without Cats.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The stock exhaust will be the quietest choice. All of the others will be noisier and if they do not have "cats" they will be even noisier. Make sure the rear window is fully bonded all around, on some cars the rear window comes loose at the bottom making the cabin very noisy. Don't expect much more performance unless you do a lot of other things like camshafts, head work, and a better induction system. A stock system will be the least expensive option. If you do a lot of driving in your Delorean you should try to go for the quietest exhaust that you can so you can hear the radio and not have a headache when you get out.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The stock exhaust will be the quietest choice. All of the others will be noisier and if they do not have "cats" they will be even noisier. Make sure the rear window is fully bonded all around, on some cars the rear window comes loose at the bottom making the cabin very noisy. Don't expect much more performance unless you do a lot of other things like camshafts, head work, and a better induction system. A stock system will be the least expensive option. If you do a lot of driving in your Delorean you should try to go for the quietest exhaust that you can so you can hear the radio and not have a headache when you get out.
    False.

For maximum quietness, stuff 3-5 bananas in each tailpipe. This setup will also reduce highway drone and total dB output for optimal "radio" listening performance and headache prevention.

My VIN:    6125

For those that don't believe me, just listen how much quieter the exhaust is on the banana-in-the-tailpipe modified K-car than the non-equipped Mercedes in this highly scientific* video comparison:

*Note: extra mayo additive observed in this clip may or may not have contributed to reduction in exhaust volume, NVH, and improvements in overall ride comfort*
    Last edited by Mark D; 11-04-2021 at 03:39 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Potatoes will last longer than bananas but if you want something that will last even longer, pack your exhaust with steel wool.

*Note: extra mayo additive observed in this clip may or may not have contributed to reduction in exhaust volume, NVH, and improvements in overall ride comfort*
    [/QUOTE]
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    The term "UK" exhaust is confusing because it refers to at least two options. The original UK Exhuast can be found here:

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/

delorean-with-cats.jpg

DeLorean Go sells their own version that is based on the one i linked to above. The Go version is advertised without Cats.
    this is what I have, with CATS. Its the best in my opinion. great euro sound, not too loud. completely polished. good power gains. fitment on the one i have now is not as good as the one I had on my first car circa 2009. i ceramic coated the headers. comes with insulated shields heat since the cats sit close to to the rear lower pontoon sections.

My VIN:    15297

I have the DPI exhaust. It was installed back in Feb 2020. My vehicle is an automatic. Yes it is a bit louder. But now by much. Once you get up to speed. You really do not notice it. I feel i get better gas mileage. Overall I'm very happy with it.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Here’s something that probably hasn’t been mentioned:

A LOT of the stock factory cats I have seen over the years have had melted substrate, which most often means restriction. This is often the result of the lambda system crapping out, tampering with the fuel mixture or the k-jet just generally not operating properly.

If your car is stock, has a chequered past, “ran when parked” etc there’s a good chance the factory cat is doing more harm than good. Unfortunately having a look usually involves breaking studs and nuts off and needing a new exhaust anyway.

I think this is why so many folks feel a power boost. It’s not a true power gain, but rather a removal of built up restriction, and sure, maybe a 1-2 extra ponies.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

I've been fortunate to install all three of the readily available options in the last couple years. No doubt, all of these systems are louder than stock. With all of these systems, consider exhaust stud replacement a necessity. Make sure to factor that time and expense into your budget My butt dyno says that there's a performance gain with all three systems, but I was unable to distinguish if any system had an edge of another. Here's my two cents:

-DMCH: Fitment is good, finish is ok, but not on par with what I'd expect from an $1900 (at the time) system. Muffler is bulky, and uses the original mounting points. Tips are nicely finished with an etched DMC logo. To my ears, this system sounds best under acceleration, and had an aggressive mid-range note. At highway speeds the noise is unoffensive, but not particularly "sporty" For how large the muffler is, I was somewhat surprised at the lack of bass at idle. Installed on an automatic car with oversize wheels and custom sound system

-DeloreanGO: Of course, no one beats Arran's customer service and shipping time. Finish quality on this system is excellent. It took more time to get this system to fit compared to the other two, but I was able to get a satisfactory result. Uses the stock mounting points, sans the alternator. No cats, so there will be a smell. Muffler case seems smaller than DMC's or DPI's. I love the muffler tips on this one, they look "just right" to me. Sound-wise, wonderful, breathy, deep idle. Expect some extra pops and gurgles due to no cats. Upon acceleration you'll start hearing midrange overtone on top of the fundamental pitch that sounds really great, and surprisingly modern to my ears. This is definitely the "sporty-est" sounding of the bunch I do have concerns about the long-term durability, as the owner of this system has reported a rattle in the muffler recently. Installed in a stock automatic car, and stock manual car.

-DPI: Hands down the best fit of the three. My only gripe on the finish is the tips; mine needed some additional de-burring, and those mf'ers can be sharp! To My ears this is the most refined and maybe the most "mellow" of the three. At idle the system has a growl that I would describe as low and warm. Throughout the RPM range the system maintains this refinement and warmth without sounding harsh. Definitely the easiest system to live with on the highway. Installed on two manual cars, including my own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2