FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DeLorean at SEMA

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I usually am proud to say I have had a part in any LS swapped delorean, but this one... this is awful.

It does not run or drive yet, about on part for a SEMA build. I am not sure how it will ever be a drivable car. He has grand plans to make 1000hp, but with his clutch , transaxle, and suspension setup it is not possible. The engine will do it.
    Also has some cut and welded axles installed, not sure why as the stock axles work just fine. The engine cradle has been almost entirely destroyed to make room for a rear sump oil pan that will lend itself well to oil starvation issues on any sort of acceleration.

We were in touch when he first got his car, but he parted ways quickly to re-invent the wheel.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

I think the welded axles were just a convenient temporary extension to accommodate how far forward they cheated the transaxle. As best I recall, adjusting the axle flanges forward more than about two inches forward of their OEM position results in curious CV joint features with the suspension travel at its extremes.

It could be an illusion from the angle of this screenshot but it looks like they put the 911 transmission quite a bit further forward than what I've seen with current LS builds:

salvagesavagedmcaxle.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Yeah the angle on those joints looked a bit extreme, especially for a high horsepower application. Then again the whole build had a "rushed" feel to it to just make the show schedule and the series episode. I would say I would have liked to have seen it done to a more exacting standard but I then realized I don't give a shit.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

I don't think the angle is excessive for the CV joints, at least it doesn't seem to be from my personal experience with 70's era Eldorados and the insanity that some of the rock crawling guys bring to the woods. I just think they had to extend the axles on the quick to accommodate where the transmission landed and prevent the suspension travel from pulling on the joints.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I use the same transaxle in my kits with a 10deg cv angle. It is pushed as far forward as possible, you actually need to cut the tail of the transaxle off.
    There are no logevity issues, have been running my axles with way for 40,000 miles.
    I simply use the stock axles with a small spacer to give the appropriate amount of plunge.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I usually am proud to say I have had a part in any LS swapped delorean, but this one... this is awful.

It does not run or drive yet, about on part for a SEMA build. I am not sure how it will ever be a drivable car. He has grand plans to make 1000hp, but with his clutch , transaxle, and suspension setup it is not possible. The engine will do it.
    Also has some cut and welded axles installed, not sure why as the stock axles work just fine. The engine cradle has been almost entirely destroyed to make room for a rear sump oil pan that will lend itself well to oil starvation issues on any sort of acceleration.

We were in touch when he first got his car, but he parted ways quickly to re-invent the wheel.
    Agreed. .....and they cut the left fender!!
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    6313

The B is for Build crew talked to the DeLorean wide-body builders at SEMA. Starts at 25:34 in the linked video below.

DeLorean at SEMA on B is for Build

My own view on this car... There are artists wise enough to recognize when they are not sufficiently talented or skilled to improve on or enhance the art of others, and then there are these guys (Salvage2Savage).
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Just ran across thearsenale.com site and they are offering the Salvage to Savage DeLorean for only $265,000.
    https://thearsenale.com/products/1981-delorean-dmc-12
    And apparently you can buy more than one of them as their shopping cart allows you to put more than the quantity of 1 in the cart! :-)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

I don?t understand where the tires go when you hit a bump. It looks like they are scraping the flares at rest. Can?t stand the turbo stuff hanging out the back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2