FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Parking Brake - how to adjust the cables at the wheel?

My VIN:    11596

Parking Brake - how to adjust the cables at the wheel?

I am in the process of building back up my rear suspension and have made it to the parking brake. What a frustrating experience that was. Turns out you cannot remove the fine adjustment screw from the mechanism without completely grenading the inside of it, so you have to completely take it apart and rebuild it. I actually ending up spending hours rebuilding those damn things. Nice.

Anyway...

I think I have the nuts on the ferrule for the cable more or less where they were before but I'm wondering if anyone can walk me through how to adjust the cables on each wheel first, and then I can take it from there as I already know how to do the fine adjustment. I didn't touch anything at the interior handle so I don't think it's necessary to make adjustments in there. Just at the lever on the mechanism.

PXL_20211107_151408966.jpg
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm9hqdfpqOo this is a particularly good video on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm9hqdfpqOo this is a particularly good video on the topic.
    Thanks a lot, that helps!

He's dead on about what happens if you remove the adjustment screw. DON'T DO IT. The ratcheting nut inside the mechanism will tip away from the guide hole and you'll have no choice but to remove the whole damn thing and do a tear-down. That really sucks when you can't get the pivot pin out (thank you air chisel) and the slotted screw and rivnut are just spinning..... it took me hours to R&R.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Something missing is that the pivot at the handle, which the two cables attach to, should be as perpendicular as possible WRT the cables. Otherwise they may jump loose when pulled hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Something missing is that the pivot at the handle, which the two cables attach to, should be as perpendicular as possible WRT the cables. Otherwise they may jump loose when pulled hard...
    Hi Ron, you are talking about this part?

https://store.delorean.com/101966-pa...rake-yoke.html

Is the cable adjustable at the handle just like it is at the wheel lever? I guess it's a balancing act?
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Hi Ron, you are talking about this part?

https://store.delorean.com/101966-pa...rake-yoke.html
    That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Is the cable adjustable at the handle just like it is at the wheel lever? I guess it's a balancing act?
    No...the cable sheath has a step in the piece on the end. It butts up against the hole in the bracket...only adjustment is on the other end.

CableEnd.jpg

My VIN:    3937

Chris wrote this a number of years ago: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?34...-Parking-Brake

... 2012... wow, I didn't think it was that long ago. Got my car in 2007... my God has it been that long. Talked to Dave S. earlier this year about something I was working on and he mentioned how you know when you've had your car a long time when you're doing fixes to things for the SECOND time. hehe Good times

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Chris wrote this a number of years ago: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?34...-Parking-Brake

... 2012... wow, I didn't think it was that long ago. Got my car in 2007... my God has it been that long. Talked to Dave S. earlier this year about something I was working on and he mentioned how you know when you've had your car a long time when you're doing fixes to things for the SECOND time. hehe Good times
    Yep that's where I am. I'm now refurbishing stuff that I last touched 10 to 20 years ago!

Anyway, this morning I worked on the ferrule adjustment and I think I got it pretty good. I just adjusted both cables so that I was able to easily slip the pin into the lever without pulling out or pushing in the cable. Greased the pin and then added a new M6 washer and nyloc but didn't make it very tight so that the pin can pivot a little in the lever. I don't know if the rocker behind the parking brake lever next to the seat is perpendicular to the floor though because I can't see it without removing the driver seat. The hand brake is working though so I think I'll leave it alone until the next time I pull the seat out.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City