FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 89 of 103 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

Finally WAH-LA!!! THE LEFT SIDE PANEL WAS REMOVED!

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

One of the previous owners must have been a dentist.

I'm glad I decided to remove the side panels. It is quite a mess in behind there.
    These pieces in the back are bent so I a decided to try to remove them. The rusty steel nuts on the S.S. bolts were siezed on. I had vise grips on what was left of the nut and I only could get a few turns before it locked up. I can see that I am going to end up cutting these bolts out. That should be fun since they are S.S. through fiberglass.

Some pics of Tam's handiwork.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

At least there were no furry residents living under your quarter panel. I found mouse nests under the intake manifold, the driver's side of the dashboard, and behind the quarter panel.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    At least there were no furry residents living under your quarter panel. I found mouse nests under the intake manifold, the driver's side of the dashboard, and behind the quarter panel.
    Yeah thankfully no. I did however catch 26 mice in the basement of my house since December.

We worked on the car yesterday (Saturday) for 4 or 5 hours. I tried several coats of the Dupli-color semi-gloss black paint on the pontoon. I don't like how it is coming out so I'm going to go with something different.

Last edited by SupercoolBill; 03-17-2024 at 07:57 PM.

Eric Woltkamp on the FB page said that a sink plunger from Home Depot had a rubber part that is a perfect fit for the intake seals. I picked up a set earlier in the day and low and behold he was right. They are a perfect fit. How do people figure this stuff out?

I drilled out the screw heads on the right side plastic rocker. I hadn't done all of the screws on the driver's side so I went back and finished that side too. Then I removed the right side rear quarter panel.

I noticed that the tub is cracked at every rocker rivnut location. I'm thinking this isn't a serious issue since the car has a full frame. I still don't like it though. I'm thinking what happens is when the rivnut is swedged it puts outward pressure on the material and at some point it cracks.
    Used a grinder with a 80 grit flapper wheel to grind the rivnuts flush with the tub. Then I used a hammer and punch to knock the rivnuts into the void. I had one that wouldn't budge and the tub started chipping away.
    I decided "While I was in there" that I'd remove the screws that hold the plastic filler plates from the rear fender wells. Two screws actually came out. I couldn't believe it!

Page 89 of 103 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 ... LastLast