FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 58 of 103 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Did you see the Y-pipe flanges since you posted about what your friend planned to do?
    Have your friend machine both of those faces down until all of the pits are gone. What we see in your 25-Nov post isn't good enough for a proper long-term O-ring seal unless you're real lucky.

See this thread about that, including notes about maintaining flange flatness/planarity when milling it among other things.

While you're thinking about it what do the mating O-ring grooves look like on the block? Better than the Y-pipe flanges look? I didn't check your thread to see if there are teardown photos of the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I dropped off my pitted Y-Pipe to my buddy that works at a machine shop. He was able to machine off enough to get rid of most if not all of the pitting. I haven't seen the final results yet but will post when I have the part back.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Today I got my Y-Pipe back from my buddy. It looks really good. One tiny little divot. I may just apply a little sealant on that. He said that he could have taken it down more but was worried it may cause some other problems. He told me I didn't owe him anything but I couldn't do that. He worked on it over Thanksgiving weekend. So I gave him $60.
    Here is a before and after picture. I'm going to dress it up a bit with some fine sand paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Did you see the Y-pipe flanges since you posted about what your friend planned to do?
    Have your friend machine both of those faces down until all of the pits are gone. What we see in your 25-Nov post isn't good enough for a proper long-term O-ring seal unless you're real lucky.

See this thread about that, including notes about maintaining flange flatness/planarity when milling it among other things.

While you're thinking about it what do the mating O-ring grooves look like on the block? Better than the Y-pipe flanges look? I didn't check your thread to see if there are teardown photos of the valley.
    Done! See my recent post.

Monday we pulled the trigger and ordered the roof box while it was on sale. It showed up today along with a woodruff key that Josh threw in free of charge. Thanks Josh and thanks for getting this out so quickly and checking in with me during the week.

Right now we have bigger fish to fry so this is going to get put away on the shelf for a year or two.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Nice! Did you order SS door hinges as well?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

He purchased the base kit. We offer it a complete package under the ultimate product page or where you can buy the pieces as need once you tear down and see what you are up against. Nearly 90% of owners end up coming back for additional bits and pieces. Most cars are in poor shape at this point.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

I haven't decided on the hinges and stuff. I feel like the stainless hinges are bling rather than needed for mechanical reasons. We will probably just clean up the hinges on the car and paint them or have them powder coated.

We picked away at the engine some more after work. Now that we had a second woodruff key (thanks Josh B.) we were able to install the oil pump.
    I measured the thickness of the reworked Y-pipe. The short bolts were going to be fine but the shank on the long bolts was close to bottoming out so we installed some extra washers on these bolts.

I wanted to dump some oil into the oil passageways to prime the pump. It turned out that this was a mistake. There is a hole in the block that the oil just started running out making a mess. I messaged Josh and he told me that this port gets blocked by the timing cover gaskets. I figured that was the case but why? Josh said it is a pressure relief. Should the spring loaded pressure control fail and the system pressure get too high he said it will blow out the timing cover gasket in that area. Interesting...

I had bought an oil filter from Napa but then found that I had already bought a Bosch filter from one of the Delorean vendors. The Napa filter looked like it had the same threads and same diameter gasket but it was shaped way different so I got worried and decided to not use it.

Page 58 of 103 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast